Author Topic: Bandages and chest hair  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
I've read a couple of times in some people's surgery experiences that one of the most painful, or the most painful part of the whole procedure was when bandages were removed because of all the hair on the chest that gets pulled at the same time.

I have a very hairy chest, should I be worried about this ? Is it better to shave off the chest hair before surgery ?

Thanks for the advice.

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
I've never had the surgery, but one would assume they shave you before the surgery anyway. I think these people are referring to the hair that grows in after the surgery.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
MY chest is pretty hairy. My PS never shaved it. The adhesive on little foam pads under the bandage is really week. I wouldnt shave it cause you'd be running the risk of ingrown hairs. It can be itchy for the first dew days before you have them removed, but thats as bad as it gets.
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Women wax off their hair all the time...i'm sure you can handle one little bandage, once.
Just don't go ripping it off it one sharp/quick hit because it will probably damage the surgical incision/scab if you have one...take it off carefully
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
Thank you for your responses, I think I'll suck it up and not shave.

irish lad

iv the same problem..

dcbr....    thats interesting do you seriously think that can happen ingrown hairs?? i was all but set to shave my chest but that is a good point il think twice now anyone have any experience with chest in grown hairs?

Offline shon

• Posting Member
I was quite surprised actually that my PS didnt shave; but then in retrospect the incision areas were so tiny why would he?  The pulling you are referring to is from the stickyness on the underside of the foam pads; one couldnt even refer to it as adhesive I dont think.  My recommendation; suck it up I dont think you'll find it too painful.  I have waxed before, and waxing is 10 times more painful that removing the foam pads.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
I wasnt warned against it. I just figured that if the hairs were just starting to come in and couldnt get to the surface, my thought was that it my become ingrown.. It's all theory, I'd think wearing a bandage that you cant remove for a week when you get the scruff of the hair coming in would drive a man crazy.. So i left it. Not like hair came off with the bandage.

irish lad

ok cheers.. you just opened my eyes to the possabilty iv my consultation dis friday so il ask him wats best.. thanks again

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
Good luck, your within weeks of surgery then?

irish lad

hopefully..it will be early june when i get it done.. the p.s is all booked up for may from what im hearing through these boards but i will put my name down on d cancel list i kind of want to get it done asap leaving me plenty of time to recover for college in september if all goes well hopefully it will i dont think my gyne is too bad from what the docs said on the board it looks like its just gland because im relatively skinny.. how are you coping post op? hav you any pictures up?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Angel,

Don't bother to shave.  If your PS wants your chest shaved, he'll clip it the day of surgery.  In years past, in the old days when people were admitted to the hospital the night before surgery, patients were shaved the night before.  Then we realized that increased the rate of infection.  So we started shaving patients on the OR table just before surgery.  Once again, infections occasionally occurred, with nicks in the skin a possibility.  Now we use clippers that very closely clip the hair, just before the prep and incision.

BUT - your hair will grow out after surgery just enough for it to hurt when your tape strips are removed.  >:(
Good Luck!  Surgery is soon, right? 

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024