Author Topic: Tanning Before Surgery?  (Read 5753 times)

Offline PhillyPUFF

• Silver Member
I'm curious if using a tanning bed will have any negative effects before surgery. I'm scheduled for surgery on July 3rd. I want to tan a few days a week before my surgery to get some better overall color. I certainly won't be tanning anytime soon after surgery. If it will have any negative effects before surgery I'll certainly stay away. If any of the doctors on this board can weigh in here, I'd really appreciate it.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Can't see how it could hinder your upcoming surgery...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline pjworth

• Posting Member
Is tanning after surgery bad/discouraged for a certain period of time? If so, for how long?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You should refrain from exposing healing wounds to UV rays (3-6 months). If you must go out in the sun, cover the incision area with a 30+ sunblock...

GB

Offline Jdowg

• Bronze Member
I might be getting surgery soon, that means i need my tan NOW! lol

DrBermant

I'm curious if using a tanning bed will have any negative effects before surgery. I'm scheduled for surgery on July 3rd. I want to tan a few days a week before my surgery to get some better overall color. I certainly won't be tanning anytime soon after surgery. If it will have any negative effects before surgery I'll certainly stay away. If any of the doctors on this board can weigh in here, I'd really appreciate it.

Tanning is an injury to the body.  Injured tissues can have increased complications, especially if the tan is fresh. 

Healing tissues from wound do not give up the darker colors of tanning as easily as other skin.  That is one mechanism for dark scars.  That is why Sun Protection and Sun Protective Clothing can have value during healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Why bother tanning before surgery?  You are going to be wrapped up in the compression binder for at least a month, you have to keep the scars out of the sun for even longer, by the time all that is over your tan will have faded away anyway...

tanning before surgery would be totally pointless
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline PhillyPUFF

• Silver Member
I think I'm gonna stay away from the tanning bed for now, and just try to spend these next few weekends outdoors to get some 'natural' color. I obviously won't be out there bare chested, I just want to try to get some color in my face/arms/legs (I'm starting to look a little ghostly  ;D).

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Offline MSJ108

Tanning is an injury to the body.  Injured tissues can have increased complications, especially if the tan is fresh. 

Healing tissues from wound do not give up the darker colors of tanning as easily as other skin.  That is one mechanism for dark scars.  That is why Sun Protection and Sun Protective Clothing can have value during healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

injured tissue can have increased complications....interesting. thanks doc

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024