Author Topic: 2 months post-op tanning question  (Read 2312 times)

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
So i'm 2 months post op and going on a long vacation. I have two very small scar a 5 centimeters below the nipple,so they are on normal skin. each is about 1-2cm wide  so they're like this : --   ---

Since i'm going to the sea i am wondering can i expose myself to sunlight, using let's say suncreams with protection factor around 50.  Will that help? Or do i need to keep away from the sun completely? People? Docs?

Thanks!

DrBermant

So i'm 2 months post op and going on a long vacation. I have two very small scar a 5 centimeters below the nipple,so they are on normal skin. each is about 1-2cm wide  so they're like this : --   ---

Since i'm going to the sea i am wondering can i expose myself to sunlight, using let's say suncreams with protection factor around 50.  Will that help? Or do i need to keep away from the sun completely? People? Docs?

Thanks!

Scars, while they are still in the "red phase" tend to not give up a tan.  Healing tissues that tan do not lighten up like surrounding tissues and can leave a permanent darker scar.  Sun Protection can help.  However, sunscreens only block so much.  I prefer the sun protective clothing.  It is getting the tan (darkening of the skin) that can cause the problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
So basicly if i put a few centimeters of clothing on the are of the scars, the tanning of the rest of my body should not be a problem for the scars?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024