Author Topic: Questions about Endocrinologists  (Read 1552 times)

Offline patsdude14

• Posting Member
What exactly is the point to go see one?  If they find a hormone imbalance, can they help right it?  If that's the cause for your gynecomastia will their solution help fix it?

I'm just sort of confused on the whole endo thing.

Offline PhillyPUFF

• Silver Member
I'm no doctor but if you go to an endo and find out your hormones are out of whack, I suppose its possible that normalizing them may have some positive effect on your gyne. Its one of those "Why not?" type of things you might as well try before going through with surgery.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
What is the point to see an Endocrinologist?

Most often, Gynecomastia is harmless and the cause cannot be determined. Rarely, it is an important symptom of other serious conditions. Some people are of the opinion that an Endocrinologist should usually be seen simply to rule out the glandular problems that could be causing Gynecomastia. Others are of the opinion that seeing an Endocrinologist is not needed if the condition is stable and has been for a couple of years and there are no other symptoms.

If they find a hormone imbalance, can they help right it?

Usually, yes.

If that's the cause for your Gynecomastia will their solution help fix it?

If the growth of the breast tissue is discovered early enough, and the cause treated, regression is possible. For most of us, this is not the case and surgery would be the only way to reduce the breast size. There is an overlap in that if there is a hormonal problem which caused the gynecomatia, but the condition has existed long enough that regression is unlikely; treatment of the hormonal problem will minimize the possibility of post operative regrowth.

For most of us, there is not a hormonal problem and the Endocrinologist simply confirms this.  In such a case, the gain is purely peace of mind which is very difficult to put a price tag upon.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024