Author Topic: Prednisone and Gyne (urgent pre surgery)  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Bris_Tits

• Posting Member
I'm scheduled for surgery on 4/8/08 with Dr David Richardson in Brisbane, however I saw a 3rd plastic surgeon for a final opinion and he suggests that I should postpone the surgery until I completely come off prednisone and see if it goes away naturally.
I explained to him that I'm only taking 1mg a day, and that this equates to 4mg of hydrocortisone, and that the body makes about 16mg per day normally anyway. However he still advised that it could still be the cause of the ongoing gyne. I then went on to explain that I've had the Gyne for 2.5 years now and that once its been there for a year its impossible to get rid of anyway.  He could'nt say for certain that he'd seen it go away in such instances but he seemed to hint that it might.

I'm keen to hear what the reality is.  I'm fairly sure that coming off such a low dose prednisone won't change things - especially since the gyne has been present for well over the magical 1 year mark. Please give me your thoughts.

Regards

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Check Dr. Bermants site, He has a good listing of things (like medications) that can cause gynecomastia.
Grandpa Dan

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
stopping the prednisone won't do shit for your gyne... that doc just doesn't know what he's talking about

Offline Bris_Tits

• Posting Member
I'm leaning towards the notion that the last guy I saw is talking crap.  I acknowledge that prednisone might cause gyne, but even if I was to go off it completely,  its not like these glands that are now firm tissue for over 2 years, are likely to go away right....

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
even if I was to go off it completely,  its not like these glands that are now firm tissue for over 2 years, are likely to go away right....

exactly. being on prednisone long term can contribute to gyne, but stopping it isn't going to reverse the damage that has already been done.

if I were you, i'd do myself a favor and find a new doc as well...  any idiot can fill out a Rx form, a doc that's worth his salt will at least be educated on what he's writing a script for and how it's going to effect your body.  the body is a complex machine, and it seems like a LOT of docs these days have a limited understanding of the full complexity of it all... maybe they just teach 'em in school now to check some database "Symptom X = prescribe Z @ 10mg/day"  "ok doc, but why exactly am i taking this?" Doc: "uuhhh.... hhmm... uhhh... "  ::)

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
But what about the issue of regrowth after the operation.  If he is still taking this drug might it come back?
Surgery done 18th March 2008

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024