Author Topic: Any hope for it to go away?  (Read 8817 times)

Offline BDempster

• Posting Member
I have had my Gynecomastia since I was 14. I am 20 now and will be 21 in June. I am a relatively slim and active guy. 5'8 and 155 lbs. I only have the breast on my left side, where it is pretty damn big IMO, and the gland tissue is pretty big and hard and sensitive too. I dont smoke pot, I dont do steroids, I only take meds for ADD (concerta), and I have a twin brother who does not have the condition. Do you think that there is any reversal or hope at all? Maybe time or meds or that anti-estrogen stuff that roid heads take? Or will the knife be my only option?

Thanks.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/gynecomastia_causes.html

I did not see your med anywhere on that list.  But the chances of it going away are virtually zip.  If you've had it since you were 14 and it has stuck around this long, my assumption is the only way it's going away is with surgery.  But it's only one breast so it wouldn't be too bad.  It would do you good to post some pics if you can. 

Good luck!
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I agree with Jake.

The absence of the drug on the list does not mean that there is not a relationship between the drug and Gynecomastia, only that the drug is not yet listed. With that in mind, I checked the side effects of the drug but again found nothing listed that would be meaningful except that some growth changes might occur. It was also noted that lowered libido might be a problem. These could be indicators of a potential problem or not.

That the breasts are unequal is not at all unusual. This is commonly reported in both men and women.

Since the condition has persisted for so long there is little to no chance that it will resolve without surgery.
Grandpa Dan

Offline BDempster

• Posting Member
If it is my Concerta, and it is the cause, will the gyno go away if I stop taking it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:20:44 PM by BDempster »

Offline BDempster

• Posting Member

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
No.  Taking any drug away that is causing gyne will keep the tissue from proliferating anymore than it has.  But the tissue will not return to its initial size on its own.  Plastic surgery is the only proven method of reducing the breast tissue.

It may or may not be the Concerta,  I cannot say because I simply don't know.  But in any case, the gyne that is there is there to stay unless you opt for surgery.

Offline SoX

• Posting Member
ouch man hope you dont take offence but that would really suck i guess im kinda lucky that both of mine look similar

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
I'm sure BDempster knows from looking around here that it can always be much, much worse.  I thank God everyday that my condition wasn't as bad as some others I've seen.  It all sucks though.

But there is always a bright side to every situation.

Offline BDempster

• Posting Member
Will working out help hide it? I am afraid of pumping up my chest because I think it would press it out more and make it stand out more. Am I right? And how much do you think surgery will cost from a General Surgeon? Will there be much risk? Id think that it is a common surgery and the surgeons would have lots of experience to not screw up and make things look worse.

DrBermant

I have had my Gynecomastia since I was 14. I am 20 now and will be 21 in June. I am a relatively slim and active guy. 5'8 and 155 lbs. I only have the breast on my left side, where it is pretty damn big IMO, and the gland tissue is pretty big and hard and sensitive too. I dont smoke pot, I dont do steroids, I only take meds for ADD (concerta), and I have a twin brother who does not have the condition. Do you think that there is any reversal or hope at all? Maybe time or meds or that anti-estrogen stuff that roid heads take? Or will the knife be my only option?

Thanks.

Gynecomastia that has not resolved by 2 years, typically does not go away by itself.  Options are best explored during a consultation after more details can be learned about the problem.

Asymmetric Gynecomastia (uneven male breasts) is quite common.  Sometimes a patient suffers from true Unilateral or One Sided Gynecomastia

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Anonymous_Man

• Posting Member
I have had gyne for just about 8 years now.  I got it when I was 33 and I'm about to turn 41.  I have given up hope for it to go away on its own.

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
GET THE SURGERY U WONT REGRET IT ;) ;) ;)

Bye Wolfman
i finally feel like im a man

Offline BDempster

• Posting Member
Does the price for surgery on just 1 side differ from surgery on both sides?

Offline Ben2cat

• Posting Member
I noticed alot of anti-depressant medications on the list.... Feed back on this is important for me.. I have been questioning this as well as the asthma meds I took as a child...
Thnks!!

DrBermant

Does the price for surgery on just 1 side differ from surgery on both sides?

Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated and varies from surgeon to surgeon.  One sided gynecomastia comes in all different sizes and degrees.

Jane is my office manager and better able to discuss costs and fees.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024