Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1882 times)

Offline chairman_blog

Hey folks,

Hope you are all well, I'm a new kid on the block.

I was hoping for some advice  :)

I finally managed to save up some money for an op but am not sure which provider to go for.

1. Dr. Karidis, seems to be raved on about a lot on these forums and I have seen pictures of his work and am very impressed, he would be my first choice but it seems the earliest he could perform surgery would be october :(

2. The Harley Medical Group - They seem very professional but they wanted a £500 deposit before they would let me see a surgeon. The plus point on that is that they have several surgeons to choose from so if I didn't like one of them, I could choose another and they could perform the surgery sooner.

Has anyone had any experience with the Harley?

The reason why time is an issue is that I am a medical student and I have been through three years of humiliation in medical school. To learn how to do examinations and procedures we practrice on each other and I have routinely been asked to take my top off...and although people don't say anything out loud, I can tell that they do judge and this has affected my personal and love life immensely. I don't play rugby anymore or any other sport that involves shared changing rooms.

I went to the NHS but that was a disaster, GP was very supportive but surgeons shot me down before I could even open my mouth.

I have had to work hard while studying and saving this money for the last few years so I don't want to mess it up!

Any advice would be very much appreciated! I can put up some pictures if they would be helpful?

Chairman Blog

Offline kingboob

Personally I wouldn't touch the Harley medical group because their consultations are usually with ''Nurse Counsellors'' NOT a doctor........
A good surgeon will not pressure you to part with cash or make fast decisions...... and asking for a deposit before a consultation is madness!   If you have met Karidis and you like him then wait till october, we are at the end of July now.

I understand where you are coming from as I have 0 patience myself and I always want everything yesterday, but at the end of the day getting it done safely and properly is more important than having it done in a rush by someone who is only after your cash.

I had my surgery with Mr Levick and I am very pleased..... however if you are in the London / south area I doubt you want to travel all the way to Birmingham.

Make sure you get a couple of different consultations and go with your gut instinct basically.

Also, with you medical training - can you not refuse to be used as a practice partner?   Are the women expected to whip off their tops as well?    I can understand how that must be a nightmare situation for you  ....... but really other medical students should be mature enough not to be making fun, you are all going to see all sorts once you get in to practice?  Treating people with dignity and without being judgemental is surely a key part of the job?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:10:40 AM by kingboob »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024