Author Topic: Afro-Americans with gyno?  (Read 8924 times)

Offline p90xblackman

• Posting Member
It doesnt seem to be that many black men with gyno as white. Or the black men might not be as open. There is a lot more pressure in our culture to be "Manly". Our pride and ego gets in the way of personal progress at times, but not mines. Im 6'3 275 and WILL be losing about 60 lbs before I have my surgery. I think i'll be going with Dr. Bermant for the surgery. He seems to have the most experience with african american skin and he's on the east cost, only a few hours away from me.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
there are some, you see it in the photos posted from time to time.  i wonder if some of that pressure translates to self paralysis too.  that's an impressive weight program, congrats on the op plans. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is my distinct impression that gyne is an equal opportunity condition -- I have treated whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. 

Part of the problem has always been recognition of the problem and motivation to do something about it -- that is individual, not related to race.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

It doesnt seem to be that many black men with gyno as white. Or the black men might not be as open. There is a lot more pressure in our culture to be "Manly". Our pride and ego gets in the way of personal progress at times, but not mines. Im 6'3 275 and WILL be losing about 60 lbs before I have my surgery. I think i'll be going with Dr. Bermant for the surgery. He seems to have the most experience with african american skin and he's on the east cost, only a few hours away from me.

Weight Loss Before Surgery is usually better than after.  Losing weight is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat comes from (or goes onto). Plastic surgery is better reserved for refinement. Getting the weight and body fat to where you are comfortable with is much better than early surgery and then gambling what may happen after further weight loss.

Yes, I work with many African Americans with gynecomastia. Male breast enlargement is not race nor ethnic specific, I see many patients from many different backgrounds who do not like their gynecomastia.  Here is one eloquent individual who was very good about expressing his Emotion of Living with Gynecomastia.

Scar care is important with all surgery to optimize results.  However with my patients at higher risk for scars, this scar care can be even more critical. These scars are not just at the surface, but extend throughout the surgical sculpture. This is another reason I avoid "blind" remote techniques for gland removal. You may get away with it on a still single view photograph as a "good" result.  But on animation, a scar can ruin the result.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure. Second stage garments can be a valuable tool in optimizing scars.

Being patient while losing weight can be frustrating. No Surgery Body Shaping Garments come in both white and black colors and can be valuable "emotional band aide" while working on the weight.  Here is a direct comparison of black vs white Second Stage Compression Garments for Gynecomastia.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
I'm black and im 6'3 about 290 im big but i use to play college football so i have muscle and what not but i use to have to work out all the time and do alot of pushups and they say if your have gyno you're not suppose to lift weights.  I have big pec muscles but you can't really tell because of the big man boobs i have!!  i hate it!!  i saved up money to get the surgery but im kinda scared to get it!  i keep thinking i will see soemone at the doctor's office that i might know and i don't want them to kno im getting the surgery!
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
sorry for short detour off-topic.  

and they say if your have gyno you're not suppose to lift weights
that's a new one to me, i never heard that before.  if you were recovering from an op, sure, for 4-6 weeks or whatever.  any idea what was behind that story?  

but im kinda scared to get it!  
normal!  so first, decide if you want to live with it the rest of your life.  let's assume that would suck the big one.  so if you don't, that means you get an op sometime before your number's up.  if you get one, that means you want it much sooner instead of later.  that means sometime in as near a future as reasonably possible.  decide when is best:  fall, winter, spring, something that works with vacation, whatever.  if it makes it easier to set the date a few months out, do it, but remind yourself every day starting early on about the fact you've decided to get rid of this misery once and for all, whatever it takes, so that when the day gets closer, you're a lot more used to the idea.  commit to not postponing, no matter what.  also, accept the fact right now that mentally it's not going to get any easier, all the way down to the anesthesia.  once you get there, however, it's sudden wakeup and realizing holy sh**, a little recovery and it's gone  :o  

i keep thinking i will see soemone at the doctor's office that i might know and i don't want them to kno im getting the surgery!
if we're talking about a p.s. instead of a generalist (don't waste your time on a generalist!), not likely to happen.  and if it's anyone you know, they're either a guy getting the same thing as you or a girl for a boob job, they probably don't want to see you either, and you'll hold the same card on them ;)  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:16:41 AM by headheldhigh01 »

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
I didn't mean after the surgery, i was sayin like if you had it i heard you wasn't suppose to cause it makes your chest look bigger and it's true cause i have alot of muscle underneath mine but until i get the surgery you'll never be able to tell cause of the gyne!

and thanks man...reallly means alot!  what you said makes sense.

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
I'm black and im 6'3 about 290 im big but i use to play college football so i have muscle and what not but i use to have to work out all the time and do alot of pushups and they say if your have gyno you're not suppose to lift weights.  I have big pec muscles but you can't really tell because of the big man boobs i have!!  i hate it!!  i saved up money to get the surgery but im kinda scared to get it!  i keep thinking i will see soemone at the doctor's office that i might know and i don't want them to kno im getting the surgery!

Just tell them you are their for a possible nose surgery or removing a fatty cyst near the neck and are worried about scarring so you to went to P.S instead .

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My wife recently had a skin cancer removed by a PS.

Even if you do run into someone you know, it really means nothing. They'll not know why you're there unless you tell them yourself.
Grandpa Dan

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
i found some places just for women and im def. not goin into an all womens clinic!!  that would be embarassing to!

DrBermant

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia.  Many complain that as they build muscle, what sits on top of the muscle gets pushed further out. 

Privacy can be an important issue.  Some of my patients travel for my services to get away from their own communities because they fear being seen by others they know.  Some of my patients are well known no matter where they go.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024