Author Topic: Im 19, have uni gyne, and am taking tamox...  (Read 2571 times)

Offline doublebee77

For anyone who reads this and responds, know that I am already grateful. I don't know who to talk to about this and its causing me serious psychological distress and paranoia. Please do not bash me about my choice to use pot or tamoxifen, but I am certainly welcome to constructive criticism based on experience or legitimate science.

Background: I am 19, began to notice gyne (hard lump) roughly a year ago occurring only under my right nipple. I am a vegetarian who eats a very healthy diet (lots of fruits/veggies, little processed foods, little dairy other than occasional lowfat yogurt). I have smoked marijuana since I was 13, with peak use around 16-18. No other consistent use of any drug, legal or otherwise. I do aerobic exercise often. I have been consistently getting leaner and more toned (someone said i had a "ripped core" the other day) over the last 6-8 months. When I was 14 i weighed 160 pounds; now at 19 i weigh 145. Surgery as of right now is simply not an option.

The girl im dating, my roommate, and my doctor have all said they have never noticed my unilateral gyne, and I feel like they are being honest. But it is most certainly there, I chose clothing to hide it, and I notice it every hour. I cannot tell at all whether my gyne is growing or just becoming more apparent as I burn fat. Two weeks ago I became so stressed that I ordered tamoxifen, and have been taking 20-30 mg a day for the last 10 days. At the same time ive lowered my calorie intake and have increased my exercise intensity and frequency. I would say I can notice a change, but as crazy as it sounds, I honestly cant tell whether its getting larger or smaller. My nipple appears to be sticking out more, but the region around the nipple that is affected appears to getting smaller in diameter. Based on this http://www.riversideonline.com/source/images/image_popup/m7_gynecomastia.jpg i have hypothesized that I am burning the fat around the gland tissue, causing the nipple to appear more "pointy". My paranoia about whether or not the tamoxifen works/whether or not my gyne is growing is making my head hurt. I am upset that one tiny part of my otherwise very fit body is causing me to feel so much shame.

So ive laid it out there... any insight or advice would be extremely appreciated.

thanks

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
Hey pal

I had gyne myseld and surgery was my cure.  Although before I was given tamoxifen, which was ineffective due to two reasons: one I was allergic to it, and two i had started the tamoxifen too late.  My gyne is also from drugs but not weed rather many, many supplements (for lifting).  From what I was told (from doctors) is that the tamoxifen is successfull in shrinking the gyno if you get it early and cease the use of the supplements causing it.  Also, I have heard (bad news for you) that tamoxifen is not likely to help gyno that is pot induced and your best shot without surgery is to just stop using marajuana. 

Hope this helps

Sorry for the bad news

Offline doublebee77

thank you for your reply. I will cease smoking for 4 weeks, which i feel should be enough time to accurately determine whether or not pot is causing/maintaining my unilateral gyne and whether or not the tamox is having an effect. maybe the gyno is Gods way of getting me to stop smoking...

more replies are certainly welcome.

DrBermant

For anyone who reads this and responds, know that I am already grateful. I don't know who to talk to about this and its causing me serious psychological distress and paranoia. Please do not bash me about my choice to use pot or tamoxifen, but I am certainly welcome to constructive criticism based on experience or legitimate science.

Background: I am 19, began to notice gyne (hard lump) roughly a year ago occurring only under my right nipple. I am a vegetarian who eats a very healthy diet (lots of fruits/veggies, little processed foods, little dairy other than occasional lowfat yogurt). I have smoked marijuana since I was 13, with peak use around 16-18. No other consistent use of any drug, legal or otherwise. I do aerobic exercise often. I have been consistently getting leaner and more toned (someone said i had a "ripped core" the other day) over the last 6-8 months. When I was 14 i weighed 160 pounds; now at 19 i weigh 145. Surgery as of right now is simply not an option.

The girl im dating, my roommate, and my doctor have all said they have never noticed my unilateral gyne, and I feel like they are being honest. But it is most certainly there, I chose clothing to hide it, and I notice it every hour. I cannot tell at all whether my gyne is growing or just becoming more apparent as I burn fat. Two weeks ago I became so stressed that I ordered tamoxifen, and have been taking 20-30 mg a day for the last 10 days. At the same time ive lowered my calorie intake and have increased my exercise intensity and frequency. I would say I can notice a change, but as crazy as it sounds, I honestly cant tell whether its getting larger or smaller. My nipple appears to be sticking out more, but the region around the nipple that is affected appears to getting smaller in diameter. Based on this i have hypothesized that I am burning the fat around the gland tissue, causing the nipple to appear more "pointy". My paranoia about whether or not the tamoxifen works/whether or not my gyne is growing is making my head hurt. I am upset that one tiny part of my otherwise very fit body is causing me to feel so much shame.

So ive laid it out there... any insight or advice would be extremely appreciated.

thanks

Weight Loss can help with global fat issues but unmask the Gland of Gynecomastia. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Antiestrogens like Tamoxifen can help combat the swelling of hormonal stimulation. They typically will not shrink remaining gland that is not in the active phase. Self medicating can be dangerous, I prefer my patients to have such management to be under the care of an experienced Endocrinologist. These medications can also obscure the original hormonal problem confusing possible Gynecomastia Testing if needed.

For those that do not want surgery, Body Shaping Garments are a temporizing contouring option.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline doublebee77

Offline Jan1010

• Posting Member
you are supposed to run tamoxifen for 3 months, I suggest you quit smoking for that period of time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024