Author Topic: Debauchery before Surgery...  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Yiminy

Hey all,

I am most likely having surgery for gyno August 24. Thing is, the week before that I will be at the beach in NJ with my friends... and there is likely to be a lot of inhebriation. possibly some non-tobacco smoking too.  I am guessing this is not the kind of behavior to be engaging in the week before surgey, but how bad is it really? is it something that i should go easy on, or is it something i should abstain from entirely? I only know that it can't be good for me, but give me the facts guys, how detrimental could smoking and drinking be the week before surgery?

And please, if possible, dont just say "don't do it. its bad." please tell me why exactly it is bad to do BEFORE SURGERY. (i know the reasons why its bad to do in general, but why before operation?)

thanks

-yim
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:28:08 AM by Yiminy »

Offline serg

• Silver Member
The anastehtic (?) is dealt with by your liver in the same way alcohol is. Your liver needs to be clear before the op.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:24:28 PM by serg »

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
It can also thin your blood, leading to more bleeding.

Basically, avoid the following for around two weeks before your op: asprin, alcohol, cigarettes, weed, garlic in large amounts, right wing politics, Britney Spears, tight fitting underwear, gnomes.

It may be a sacrifice, but it's just something you have to do once. No point in compromising your surgery.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 01:48:37 PM by doddy »
etc.

Offline Yiminy

It can also thin your blood, leading to more bleeding.... No point in compromising your surgery.

whats wrong with more bleeding, so long as you have drains? how would excess bleading compromise the surgery?
and also why does your liver need to be clear? what happens if it is not clear? Also, i thought that after you have been drinking your body flushes the alcohol from your system within 24 hours. so as long as i dont drink within 4-5 days of the surgery, should i be ok?

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
more bleeding = more bruising... you will take much longer to heal, and the ps will have a harder time performing surgery...

and your liver will have a tough enough time dealing with the anesthesia... alcohol is something you definitely do not need... although i dont recall exactly how many days in advance you are supposed to abstain from it

Offline dps

• Bronze Member
  • gyne free since july 2005 :D
I would say to try and tone it down. Maybe say you're not really feeling that well and would prefer not to drink. If you're assertive and confident people back down. Anyway, best of luck with the surgery!
[ photos ] :: [ diary ]

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
Ask your PS, he should tell you everything you need to know.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 05:58:03 PM by Achilles »

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.

whats wrong with more bleeding, so long as you have drains? how would excess bleading compromise the surgery?
and also why does your liver need to be clear? what happens if it is not clear? Also, i thought that after you have been drinking your body flushes the alcohol from your system within 24 hours. so as long as i dont drink within 4-5 days of the surgery, should i be ok?

Maybe 4 or 5 days would be okay - but is it really something worth risking?!

And about the bleeding, yup, as said, more bruising, but perhaps more importantly.. it means the drains have to stay in longer. From my personal experience, you want those things out ASAP.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude.....

Here's what you do....

Smoke the smoke. Can't see how that would affect your surgery. As far as getting inebriated, why bother? Your smoke will get you there. Have a 'few' drinks so that your buddies don't suspect anything. There's no way that a 'few' drinks could be detrimental to your surgery.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Spleen

My doc was honest with me.  He officially says no booze for a week before, but said 2 days is fine.  He's had patients party the night before surgery to celebrate, and then come in the next morning for surgery totally hung over.  

Offline jalita

• Posting Member
I'm having surgery on 8/29 and my thoughts are all about wanting the best possible result because I'm going to be living with them for the rest of my life. I'd much rather NOT party for a few days (or weeks) if it meant the difference between a good a and a great result, or better healing time, etc.

Do what you want, but I don't think it's worth it. PS: I've read some medical articles that say smoking pot could contribute to gynecomastia too, so why chance fucking anything up? Just my .02

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024