Author Topic: Blood Glucose and Gynecomastia ??  (Read 4508 times)

Offline rcbrown23

Anyone know if low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) could have anything to due with gyne?

-Brown

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I know a deficiency in growth hormone causes an increased sensivity to insulin because growth hormone opposes the action of insulin on muscle and fat cells. Don't know if it's connected to gyne. Good question.

Makes sense that if you have a growth hormone deficiency you may have hypoglycemia. Maybe i'm wrong. Hypo would probably be a good person to answer the question.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 07:13:38 PM by jc71 »

Offline rcbrown23

I've got an appointment with an endo in two hours...I'll ask.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Great Question and Great Responses.

Please be good enough to keep the rest of us posted and up to date with what the Endo-- says.

Many of us might learn something as a result.
Grandpa Dan

Offline hypo

This may be somewhat dated given a post from rcbrown23 regarding his appointment with his endocrinologist but I will add something anyway.

Diabetes and hypogonadism are associated conditions.

Hypogonadism is known to significantly increase the chances of acquiring diabetes.

The mechanism is not fully understood, but reseach in Finland has pointed to a relationship between low serum testosterone and low SHBG (the transporter protein that binds to testosterone that is made in the liver) and a significant statistical increase in diabetes and the metabolic syndrome.

This connection between diabetes and hypogonadism is shown quite readily by the fact that approximately 1 in 3 diabetes sufferers usually have hypogonadism.

So jumping back to the original question.

Hypoglycemia/diabetes doesn't according to current medical knowledge cause gynecomastia, but the diabetes can be caused by hypogonadism which of course often causes gynecomastia.  If 1 in every 3 diabetic men have hypogonadism then it would not be at all surprising to see a high incidence of gynecomastia in diabetic men.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024