Author Topic: Don't know what to do  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Williams477

Hey everyone. I found this site a while ago but I only recently got the guts to post asking for advice.

I'm currently 16, 17 next month, and I've had Gynecomastia probably since age 10. I can't remember exactly when it started to development but I know it was right around that age. Anyways, I've never really had a problem with it. There would be times I'd become very self-conscious about it and start thinking of ways to do something about it, but I would eventually stop caring. This process happened many times a year.

Even though I didn't really care, it was still on the back of my mind most of the time. Whenever at school or spending the night at someone's house, including my own grandmothers, I had to take precautions to ensure no one would notice them. I started walking with a hunch in my back to try to fool people and I wear hoodie's and sweatshirts whenever I can, even during the Spring and Summer I wear a jacket no mater how hot it is.

I finally became fed up with it last year around January. I started looking up the condition and how to solve the problem. I read on sites that enlarged breasts can be caused by being overweight or Gynecomastia. I was overweight so I decided to see if I could fix the problem by exercising and eating less. From then to now, I've lost about 20-30 pounds with no results.

I really want to do something about this. Next year I'm going to be a senior in high school and I don't want to constantly worry about my condition. As of this moment, I'm not even sure I want to go to a very prestigious summer camp this summer because of it. I've lived with this for close to 7 years now, but I've never told my mom how I've felt. There were times where I wanted to tell her, but I knew the family couldn't afford any expensive type of surgery so I just shrugged it off and continued on. I don't want to have to worry anymore, and I want to tell her about it, but once again we're entering financial difficulties because she is currently going through a divorce.

Does anyone have any advice?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
hard to say without knowing how bad your case is, but general suggestion would be, short term, compression garment, longer term, decide if you want to start saving for an op.  

i assume your dad's not a consideration here, so telling your mom is probably a good idea because you can always use a friend who understands your situation, though it sounds like you're on the situation yourself.  i would be wondering, even if you don't pursue an op right now, are you concerned it will put more stress on her, or can she handle it.  only you really know.  but if you tell her, let her know you're willing to work extra to get a start on it, if that's your inclination, so she doesn't have to feel bad about it.  

welcome to the realm of the unlurking ;)  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 05:37:04 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
HHH is correct, as usual.

Talk to mom, See what is available in the way of medical insurance etc.

Welcome to reality.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline outertrial

When you say you lost 20ilbs with no result does that mean you lost 20lbs and got thin or you were still overweight but gave up losing weight because it didnt appear to be helping?

Offline Tired

• Bronze Member
When you say you lost 20ilbs with no result does that mean you lost 20lbs and got thin or you were still overweight but gave up losing weight because it didnt appear to be helping?

I can't talk for him but i lost around 35kg because i got sick and tired of the boobs and they ruined my life (and by life i mean everything that involves sports or girls) so i lost alot of weight and gained alot of muscle. So when the boobs stayed  and actually got worse it really took a toll on my motivation. (Surgery next!)
Loosing weight CAN help, and im sure often does. But it can make it worse too.

My advice would be, if they are ruining alot of your life. Asking your mom for the money or ask if she can loan the money for you is worth it many times over. I would gladly pay all the money in the world for a normal chest. So paying 3-6k$ is a small price for "freedom".

On a less serious note, move to Norway and become a citizen. Then it's free ;)

Offline Texan

• Bronze Member
  • Everythings Bigger In Texas
Well William, your story sounds exactly like mine. My back in almost permanently slouched and hoodies seem to be the only thing I wear in any season.
The difference between us is that I've talked to my parents about it, I'm 16, and they decided to help me when they could afford it. My dad got some money, wont go into details, and so I'm getting the surgery in about 2 weeks.

I'm guessing that William was saying that the loss of 20lbs didnt help with his gyne.

Keep working out until your parents can help you out or you've saved enough money. That way when you do get the gyne fixed you'll already be looking great.

Man Boobs Gone In 3 Weeks.
Hopefully It All Works Out.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024