Author Topic: What are all the steps to take?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline rhinopothole

• Posting Member
  • Needs help!
Hello all.  Im a 23 y/o man with gyne and was wondering if anyone had gone through the all the steps to gettting surgery or using the test cream to reduce thier own gye problem and what all those steps maybe?  I want to keep my body healthy and fear causing more problems for myself because of crazy hormones or insane surgery stories.  I just want to know all the steps in the gyne reduction process through personal stories before i go to my doctor or endo.  Any help in this process would be greatly appreciated.

Rhinopothole

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Quite a few guys on here self-medicate, but it's a real minefield and would seriously advise you to see your doctor.  Ask to see an endocrinologist to rule out any underlying causes (which can be around 20% of cases).

Once you have that out of the way and assuming your hormones are 'normal' you can then decide what you want to do.

If surgery is the best route (and it normally is in long established gynaecomastia) then you have to start doing your homework for a surgeon.  Make sure you do have gynaecomastia with excessive tissue in relation to the rest of your body.  What I mean here is that some guys that are overweight have a flabby chest, but the contour or shape of the the 'breast' is in line with the rest of the body.  Liposuction in this case may lead to an unsatisfactory result as your chest may look 'too small' in relation to the rest of your body.

Is surgery something that your country's health care system will pay for like in the UK or Canada (sometimes) or is it covered by insurance (not often) or will you have to pay privately?

Which ever, you need to find out which surgeons that you are prepared to travel to have a good caseload for treating gynaecomastia for male chest reduction/sculpture.

I advise seeing three reputable surgeons and the best ones are usually those you hear about via word of mouth (on this forum) rather than reading about on some flashy website.

The most important thing here is to choose the surgeon that you think best manages your personal expectations without promising a 100% improvement - there is no such thing.

Ask your surgeon as many questions as you need to.  Ask if they remove just fat or fat and glandular tissue.  If you have glandular/breast tissue this will need to be excied out along with the fat.  If you have glandular tissue and they say they you don't need it removing, ask them why - very often not removing glandular tissue gives a less effective result.  Don't forget to ask how often past patients have returned for revision.  Revision is not a mark of a poor surgeon but you want to ensure you surgeon is happy to make sure you both reach an end point you will both be happy with.  And make sure you ask what his or her policy on charges are for revision.  Some are completely free of charge, others just give up their own fee, but you still have to pay other theatre costs.

Work out when surgery would be a good time for you, ie. not just before a holiday and at a time you know you can take a week off to recover.

Hope that helps.

Offline Hypo-is-here

rhinopothole,

Phantom has wrote a very good detailed response, you would be wise to read the advice carefully and follow it.

Offline rhinopothole

• Posting Member
  • Needs help!
thanx captain obvious(hypo).  phantom, u really know what u r talking about.  do u know of any good docs in the atlanta area that r priced well?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024