Author Topic: I need your help  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Chodel

• Silver Member
  • Défectuosité toujours
I am from the UK, my GP has referred me to a 'breast consultant' (NHS).  I am currently totally confused as to what to expect from this guy, what his standards are how long he has been doing this type of surgery or if he has even done it at all.  

I know the best thing to do is to just go and see him and ask the relevant questions, but after having got the letter today which where it should say Dear Mr ****** there was a tip-exed mess clearly where it had said Mrs.  Now I know this is silly but that got to me a little.  And it has just dawned on me that I will have the humilation of having to walk into the breast care department at the hospital, walk up to the receptionist and say I have an appointment.

I do not want to have to sit in the waiting room with all the women.  I feel really confused, and i know what i am saying is silly.  I should be grateful that I have gotten this far but my head is spinning with worry over what the standard of this guy is going to be like and having the humiliation of walking into a 'breast care department'.  It just feels like a kick in the crotch to be getting this far, yet to still feel like there are these horrible moments of humiliation I have to endure.

Do you have any thoughts?  Should I stop being an idiot and just go?!?!  My mum said she would come with me and wait outside, maybe she could be my breast decoy, but I still have to walk up to reception.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
In my twenties I was referred to a Gynecologist. So there I sat in a waiting room full of mostly pregnant women.

Philosophically, we get stronger by overcoming lifes obstacles.

Some of the women will be embarrassed to have a man in the room as well. In that respect you will not be alone.
Grandpa Dan

Drummer

I would say to look at the bigger picture.  You can look only at the potential embarrassment at the receptionist's desk, or you can look further down the road of your life and see that because of what you're doing it's free of gyno.  Few things really worthwhile come without a little discomfort in the beginning.  Anyway, I don't think it'll be as bad as you think.  The women in there will probably be too concerned with their own selves to pay much attention to you.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024