Author Topic: what is the hormone that causes gyne?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline paperbag

I am taking avodart for hairloss and am having some troubles with gynecomastia.

I have read that the problem is as follows: avodart inhibits converstion of testosterone to DHT.  The excess testosterone goes to the liver and is converted into estrogen.  The high estrogen causes gynecomastia.

This sounded plausible to me becuase I know bodybuilders get gynecomastia from taking testosterone, so too high testosterone can cause increased estrogen and gynecomastia.

I explained this to my doctor, who didn't believe it.  I think she implied that the avodart simply inhibits DHT in the breast tissue.  I think she  was saying that estrogen levels are constant, but the DHT is lower.  The DHT would normally be inhibiting the growth of breast tissue.

Does anyone know what is the right answer?

Offline hungry.tides

• Silver Member
  • make the most of what you have got
I think Hypo-Is-There is the best person to answer your query. Send him a message, do share the reply on this thread.
cheers
Surgery Date: 25th June 2007
Lipo + Excision (<100% removal around nipple)
Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Ananteshwar, Manipal, Bangalore
pre & post pics link:
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z236/hungrytides/
Know more @ :
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/index.html

Offline iginla23

• Bronze Member
thats a very good question, anyone know the specifics>??

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I think Hypo-Is-There is the best person to answer your query. Send him a message, do share the reply on this thread.
cheers

Hypo-is-here no longer posts on the boards. You could try a PM, but I doubt it.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

The loss of Hypo is here was a great loss to this forum.

We are very fortunate in having Plastic Surgeons who regularly contribute and that is a significant help to sufferers, but what we don’t have are Endocrinologists.  This lack of endocrinology expertise often gives rise to misinformed comments, not through any malice but purely through ignorance.  And that’s where Hypo is here stepped in.  He was a long standing and hugely influential contributor to this forum.  He wasn’t an Endocrinologist himself but he had an understanding of the subject which often exceeded that of some Endocrinologists.  Yes he was sometimes a little arrogant.  Yes he was sometimes a little argumentative.  But then we all are sometimes, and besides, those factors lead to lively and healthy debate.  I actually enjoyed his dry sense of humour and it was a sad day that he left after falling out with “management”.

There is a lot of poor information that circulates these boards regarding hormones.  There is however some very good information too from 1 or 2 contributers who know their stuff.  The problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak (the good from the bad).  Many of us pick up some information as we go along but that doesn’t make us experts; in fact a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.  In my opinion what we need is an expert on male endocrinolgy.  How we get one is the hard part.

Of course if someone could persuade Hypo is here to come back ...............

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024