Author Topic: Understanding Surgery Risk Better by (sorry) Being Brutally Honest about it  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Neil123

• Bronze Member
Hi All,
I consulted with PS who gave me a list of potential risks of surgery. I appreciate it is his legal protection but to be honest the list scared the shit (sorry) out of me!
It's the symptoms of problems like swelling, swollen legs, problems related to blood clotting etc. even heart attack and stroke possible if you are too anxious and blood pressure up..

My question is is it correct to say the major risks are related mainly to the fact that to start the surgery and during surgery the PS explodes many blood vessels in your body as part of entering the chest.
This sounds like a big deal to me for the body to handle all the blood vessels that are literally being cut/exploded as the knife cuts your skin to enter your chest and then cuts your glandular tissue!

Is this a correct description and explanation of the main risk cause?

If someone can elaborate - how does our body handle its blood vessels being cut - where does the blood go I can not imagine proper healing!? I can imagine for example even 5 yrs after surgery if you play soccer and get a ball to the chest it can hurt and cause an internal opening of the scar YOU HAVE INSIDE because inside you have a 'mess' of bunch of 'disorganized kind of dead blood vessels'.

Am I kind of right explaining it this way?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
N.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:50:31 PM by Neil123 »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The chance of something going wrong is always there. The odds are strongly in your favor that everything will be OK, but there is always that slim chance that something could go wrong.

The things about which I worried the most never actually happened. That means that worry is a glorious waste of time.

I will soon be 75 years old. I am the oldest member of my family. I could die at any time. Oddly the same is also true of my youngest great grandchild. I am not particularly worried about either myself or my offspring. It simply does not pay to worry.

If you never take a chance, you will live a very dull life.

I'd sooner die tomorrow having fun than live twenty more years and be bored all the time.

Look for the bright side. Whenever someone else dies, you have to live longer to maintain the average.
Grandpa Dan

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
I always wondered how they cut the blood vessels supplying blood to the gland out. Like I mean while your separating the gland from the body, you obviously also have to cut the blood vessel giving the gland blood out, so wouldn't one be cut and cause massive blood loss/death. How do surgeons avoid this?

Offline Neil123

• Bronze Member
Hi Canadianmoobs123, exactly!
Hopefully one of the surgeons here can shed some light.

In my opinion the body usually knows how to deal with it but what we described is exactly the main risk. I believe this is why they ask you how your wounds heal and things like that so they can predict the risk of death.

Obviously they will not tell you that as it's bad for business plus they are nice people they don't want to scare you.
Sincerely.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024