Author Topic: Stitches  (Read 4419 times)

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
It's been 4 weeks since the operation tomorrow, and I still have stitches :S Shouldn't they have gone away by now? I'm supposed to be able to start working out on friday, but the stitches are very visible, so if I go into the shower in the gym people will definitly notice the surgery by the stitches. Also, it is scary to not see whether the scars under the stitches are horrifying or not :P

How long did it take for you to loosen the stitches? Should't mine have gone away by now?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have dissolving stitches, then yes, they should have dissolved and fallen out by now.  However, some surgeons use stitches that do not dissolve and need to be removed by the surgeon. 

I think a quick call to you surgeon, who obviously knows what stitches were used, would be of great help to you.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
If you have dissolving stitches, then yes, they should have dissolved and fallen out by now. 
Dr Jacobs

Yes, I'm very sure they are supposed to be dissolving stitches, 'cause some of my stitches HAVE fallen off, but most of them .. haven't. What can be wrong?

DrBermant

It's been 4 weeks since the operation tomorrow, and I still have stitches :S Shouldn't they have gone away by now? I'm supposed to be able to start working out on friday, but the stitches are very visible, so if I go into the shower in the gym people will definitly notice the surgery by the stitches. Also, it is scary to not see whether the scars under the stitches are horrifying or not :P

How long did it take for you to loosen the stitches? Should't mine have gone away by now?

There are many different types of dissolving sutures that can be used for this surgery, there are other sutures that do not dissolve. My typical gynecomastia patient has from 2 to 3 different types of suture, sometimes more. Time for this process to complete depend on the type of suture, the size, placement, and many other factors best discussed with your surgeon who is familiar with what was done in your case.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Dont panic matey!

I'm 6 weeks post op and some of mine are still in!

They're going slowly!

I'm just ensuring I keep the area as clean as possible and as dry as possible to protect from infection.

We'll get there!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024