Author Topic: Gynecomastia and surgery has scarred me for life.  (Read 2407 times)

Offline scarredforlife

Where do I start? I had a case of gynecomastia when I was a teenager. It didn't go away, and after some researching I decided to get surgery. I checked the forums here and there was a doctor that was decently priced at $2500 and everyone said he was good. So I went to him.

What did he do? First, he botched my areola. Incision was done half a cm in the areola. Second, he took away too much fat... and my chest was sunken in and the nipple is flat. Screwed up my chest once I saw it after post-op consultation, and all he can say "Ahh don't worry bro, it will fix itself". It never after many years.

After a few years I decide that this is literally the cause of my depression. I still wanted to become a body builder/athlete. So I did what every smarter person would do... get revision with the best surgeon. Or so I thought. Cost me about $20 000 in total and I hoped that this will be the end of my misery. But no, not much improvement was made. Deformity improved very slightly, and the scar was still there. Another member was unhappy and apparently the doctor did not want to do revision. Regardless even if I do get revision with him, I would have to pay a lot.

Still not happy so I jump to another surgeon. Didn't fix much and I'm down another $7000. So in total down about $30 000 and still not satisfied.

Why can't I just have normal nipples? Is it that hard? Do surgeons not care about patients well being? Can they not admit that they screwed up, or admit that they cannot fix it? I don't even want perfection; I just want something that looks natural.

I don't know what to do. I want to take my shirt off and finally go to the beach. I can't do anything. Now that I think about it, I would be much happier with gynecomastia. I would have saved thousands.

:'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:53:10 AM by scarredforlife »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I am sorry to hear of your plight.

Since this is your first post, it is fair to presume that your initial search did not begin here.

The obvious moral to the story is that a surgeon selected on the basis of price is not going to produce a satisfactory result. Take the time needed to verify the credentials of your surgeon. Well qualified surgeons will be glad to discuss their qualifications.

The worst thing that comes out of this is that it is very difficult for even the best of surgeons to correct a really bad job. More bad news, with each procedure the circulation and ability to heal is more compromised. Eventually someone will simply say that there is nothing more that can be done.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Pooz

• Silver Member
rough story. pains my heart to hear it.

:'(

Offline scarredforlife

Since this is your first post, it is fair to presume that your initial search did not begin here.

The obvious moral to the story is that a surgeon selected on the basis of price is not going to produce a satisfactory result. Take the time needed to verify the credentials of your surgeon. Well qualified surgeons will be glad to discuss their qualifications.

The worst thing that comes out of this is that it is very difficult for even the best of surgeons to correct a really bad job. More bad news, with each procedure the circulation and ability to heal is more compromised. Eventually someone will simply say that there is nothing more that can be done.

Actually my initial search did begin here. There are a lot of happy people from the surgeons, however, there are a few people who are not which include me. What I don't like is when they act like that's the risk of surgery when it's not... it was a mistake on your part. The worst part is, how do you sue them without revealing your embarrassing secret to everyone? And so much time and money.

What I could have done with $30k right now... a new car, an apartment... :\

It's like I spent $30k for a poor chest.

Offline jojo82

• Silver Member

Actually my initial search did begin here. There are a lot of happy people from the surgeons, however, there are a few people who are not which include me. What I don't like is when they act like that's the risk of surgery when it's not... it was a mistake on your part. The worst part is, how do you sue them without revealing your embarrassing secret to everyone? And so much time and money.

What I could have done with $30k right now... a new car, an apartment... :\

It's like I spent $30k for a poor chest.

The problem with starting your research here is that the doctors listed on the main page are not screened by any objective criteria. Basically any doc that has the money to shell out can be listed. So this is actually a very poor place to spend your time researching, but it is a good starting point. You have to spend a lot of time researching doctors yourself. The vast majority of top-notch plastic surgeons are not listed on this site or any others for that matter. Word of mouth gets them more business than they can handle and many of them are booked for months. Those are the guys you have to seek out, not the ones spending money on internet marketing. Because that's all this is- marketing, and it's big business.

But there are risks with any surgeon. Unfortunately for you and many others like you, there are no protections from bad work. I suggest that you get in contact with your local medical college to see if they have a plastic surgery clinic. They'll be able to do revision work (by experienced professors/practitioners).

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024