Author Topic: Do I have to stop taking Propecia (finasteride) before I have surgery?  (Read 4627 times)

Offline bill-0

Hi, I've been taking Fin for about 3 years now and have developed slight gyno.

I'm planning on getting surgery this month and I'm wondering if I need to stop taking the medicine before surgery? I'm still planning on continuing with Fin as it's done my hair loss wonders, but I'm unsure if taking it can somehow effect the surgery?

Thanks!

Offline xelnaga13

Make sure you check with your preop care nurses. Prior to surgery they will ask you about your medications about 5 times over. I highly doubt propecia would have any impact on surgery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Propecia (Finasteride) is a terrific medication to put a stop to the progression of hair loss.  It does so by being hormonally active.  One of the side effects of Propecia, according to the manufacturer (Merck) is "swelling of the breasts."  Unfortunately, this is not swelling -- it is actual growth of breast tissue -- and it is usually irreversible.

Not all patients taking Propecia have this side effect. It is not possible to test yourself to see if you might be one of the "fortunate" few who would develop gyne.  And again, once gyne has developed, it doesn't regress if you stop taking Propecia.

In your case, it seems that taking Propecia did indeed bring on your gyne (at least from your description of the onset).  If so, then it is possible that continuing to take it after surgery could possibly result in a recurrence of your gyne.

It would be best to discuss this in depth with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024