Author Topic: Well I went and did it - first mammogram  (Read 10769 times)

hammer

DB, you are not going to get any argument out of me! Debbie and I agree, if it isn't broken, don't fix it!

I'm looking at going in January to the VA pain clinic to see if they can help with the chronic pain, which is much more important then even H size breast. Both knees are prosthetic, the left hip is going now too as well as the back still is bad even after 3 surgeries! Hell, who gives a damn about breast anyway?

Good to hear from a fellow Minnesotan!

Bob

Offline jrflatnow

• Posting Member
No correlation between gyno and breast cancer!

Offline cwhitness

I am still trying to cope with the fact that I have breasts. Everyone here seems to have accepted having them. I don't know if I can get over looking like a woman. I'm not married and don't know if anyone will ever love me like this. I did finally go see my primary doctor about this and he suggested I get a mammogram. I haven't scheduled it yet, because I'm so embarrassed to even go. I know I need to get it done for peace of mind. I have just started to research options for getting rid of my boobs. There is so much conflicting information about different drugs you can take. I just don't know if anything works. I've never had surgery so Im scared about going down that path. Has anyone here ever seen a doctor about having surgery? If so, what did you learn that kept you from having it done. Any insight would be appreciated. 

hammer

I'm 58 years old and have had gyno all my life and have never let it bother me, but I have had a total of 8 surgeries! I've had 2 total knee replacements, 3 major back surgeries and the others were same day minor surgeries. Any surgery can be and is a risk! I feel no need to have a double mastectomy at this point of my life, if I was 22 and had 46H size breast that I do now, maybe I would feel differently about that.

There isn't any magical cure to rid your self of those breast, only surgery, so if you go down that road be sure you find a properly trained plastic surgeon with a lot of experience in this field. This forum is a great place to start.

Good luck
Bob

Offline TigerPaws

I am still trying to cope with the fact that I have breasts. Everyone here seems to have accepted having them. I don't know if I can get over looking like a woman. I'm not married and don't know if anyone will ever love me like this. I did finally go see my primary doctor about this and he suggested I get a mammogram. I haven't scheduled it yet, because I'm so embarrassed to even go. I know I need to get it done for peace of mind. I have just started to research options for getting rid of my boobs. There is so much conflicting information about different drugs you can take. I just don't know if anything works. I've never had surgery so Im scared about going down that path. Has anyone here ever seen a doctor about having surgery? If so, what did you learn that kept you from having it done. Any insight would be appreciated.

I am not nor will every marry yet I date and enjoy the company of some of the most beautiful women in the world. Having breasts while an inconvenience has not been a major issue for me because I refuse to let be.

Have confidence in yourself and others will accept you for the person you are.

At 62 I developed fully formed breasts (see image below) in my 50's because of medications related to a serious Prostate issue. Before taking medications to suppress my Testosterone and replacing it with Estrogen I had no breast development. Nor did I have any idea as to the extent of my development. Each of us is different it is all about how you deal with the hand life has dealt you.

Sure I could easily afford the cosmetic surgical procedure but with the extent of my development (I am still growing a little) it would now be major surgery. Something I am unwilling to do because of the risk factors.  

Developing breasts for whatever reason is not something to be feared or embraced, it is simply another bump along the road of life, you can either accept and deal with who and what you are or you can be destroyed by it.

The choice is yours

Mac99500

I have often wondered what it would be like to have a mammogram and how the technician would respond.  Would they consider it to be unusual?

When I had a bladder exam a few years ago 2 young women did the preliminary tests.  They handled the parts like it was just a normal thing to do.

aboywithgirls

I can say that a mammogram is not that big of a deal. It's becoming more common for men to have this ordered. I had my first mammogram 2 years ago. Given my size  (36G ) and my family history of cancer my GP ordered it to establish a base line. 
Believe it or not, most people don't notice my breasts. That is until I am sitting in the waiting area and all the other women there are fixated on my chest as they call me back and as they walk me out.

Offline walt

• Gold Member
I had my first mamo 3yrs ago, I work in the hospital I had it done in and know the xray girls
when I took off my shirt and was wearing a bra she didn`t think anything of it she asked if I needed help getting it off , other than that I was pretty much at ease with the whole thing , it really was not that bad.

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
While my GP has yet to order a mammogram (indicated that at some point I would have to do it), I have had other procedures done like EKG and the tech's thought nothing of me having to take off my bra for the procedure.  In one case earlier this summer, one of the tech's complemented me on being brave enough to take proper  care of my apparent breast development.
The point, guys do get breast development and with that comes the same concerns that a good share of our population has had to deal with over time, no point in worrying about what medical people might think of a guy that needs to and does wear a bra.

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
I had my first Mammogram in 2015 and my GP just ordered me another one.  When i went in, the tech said she has about 4-5 men come through a week. So, it is really not that odd or rare as you might think.

aboywithgirls

Agreed. It isn't really all that uncommon. And guess what else isn't all that uncommon. That's right! Wearing a bra. According to the tech I go . At least half of the men who go for mammograms are wearing some sort of chest support. Now they aren't all wearing full support underwire bras like I do but, they are wearing mostly sports bras or genie bras or non wire regular bras. 
They're breasts, we need to treat them as such.

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
Interesting comment, that techs doing mammograms would know which guys that they screen are using bras on regular basis.
I am wondering how they come to this conclusion as would guess that some that are coming in choose not to wear a bra for that event (MD shy).  So unless they are questioned about if they typically do use something for support(probably not) , would believe that the impression these techs get from either noticing the indication of a bra, or actually asking the patient to remove the bra, is reflective of only a portion of those that choose to do so.
My self, I have overcome that concern, and as I said, have no concern wearing a bra to see a medical professional, but at same time, have heard from others in similar condition, that they do not wear their bras when going in to see the doc??

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024