Author Topic: Should I stop propecia now?  (Read 6363 times)

Offline tmb82

• Posting Member
Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands, and would really appreciate anyones input. I have had my gynecomastia sorted (I am over the moon - a brilliant job was done). Before the op I was taking propecia (finasteride) for male pattern baldness, and its worked very well. One of the side effects is gynecomastia (documented as 'very rare') - but I had gynecomastia well before starting this medication and I dont THINK the medicine made it worse. Now I'm sorted on the gyne front, is it safe to continue with the propecia. My PS says he removed all the gland, so theres little/nothing to stimulate and it should be fine. I just can't decide! I would love to keep my head of hair -  but only IF it isnt going to undo all the good work thats just been done on my chest.

can anyone offer any experience or advice to help my decision?

thankyou very much indeed.

Tim

Offline nope1

• Gold Member
Well I was in the same situation as you.

I got gyne from propecia and had the operation to get it removed.  I definately stopped propecia right away.  I'm not a doctor so I don't know if your gland can grow back if theres not much left, but I'd be worried too.

I switched to Rogaine, and it works even better than propecia, even on the front hairline.  Rogaine says it will only work on the top of the head and the back, but thats just cuz their research for the front hairline weren't "significant" enough to claim it will work.  But it works for me...I recommend you switch to rogaine...no side effects (except itchy scalp at first), and it just might work even better!  Best of all, no more worrying abou gyne.

Offline hypo

tmb82

All you need to know about propecia.  You should not touch this drug with a barge pole!!!

http://www.propeciasideeffects.com/

Many men are suffering from the side effects of propecia and Proscar.

The problems caused by propecia are much higher than the statistics quoted by the pharmaceutical manufacturers.

The principle ingredient in propecia is finasteride and finasteride was first used in the treatment of prostate cancer to chemically castrate men.

This is why one of the labeled side effects is lowered libido.

Finasteride lowers the potent male androgen dihydrotestosterone.  

In doing this it can cause;

gynecomastia, loss of musculature, fatigue/lethargy, lowered libido, erection difficulties.

In some men these problems are permanent and the drug causes a form of hypogonadism that is very difficult to treat as explained by one of the worlds leading endocrinologists below

Below is what Eurgene Shippen, one of the worlds leading experts on hypogonadism has to say about propecia and Proscar.  

Finisteride (propecia-Proscar)  
Date: 5/15/01  
Time: 3:42:23 PM  
Remote Name: 152.163.195.186  

Comments  
I have become aware of a growing number of young men who started to take propecia for male pattern baldness. After relatively short intervals these men develop full symptoms of hypogonadism: decreased libido, sexual dysfunction, ED, fatigue, gynecomastia and depression. Testing shows low T and DHT, high E2, low or normal FSH/LH and normal prolactin. What is really troubling is the lack of response to T replacement, clomiphene stimulation, HCG injections. There may be significant increase in T after various methods of increasing it, but the response in all areas seems to be lacking entirely! If anyone has patients with these complaints after finisteride, please let me know as I am collecting case histories of this serious, though uncommon problem. Also, anyone who has had success with treatment, let me know at: ershippen@aol.com.      

Unquote

The condition is called male pattern balding.  It doesn’t often occur in children or women because they are not men.  In using finasteride you are chemically lowering one of the chemicals that makes you male- not a good idea!!!  

Offline tmb82

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot. It looks like propecia is a no go then. Shame cos its worked well on my hair, but not worth the risk of going back to the gyne. Interestingly though my testosterone levels are high, not low,..but thats probably a whole other story!

Thanks for your defnitive advice and guidance.

Tim

Offline hypo

Given you used to use this medication I think it would be a very good idea for you to have your dihydrotestosterone level checked as well as testosterone when you have pathology.

This is something you will have to ask for- in doing so explain that you took Finasteride.

Offline Cuttin Headz

• Silver Member
  • The Person Formerly Known As Bubby_the_Tour_ G
Hmm, i wouldn't sacrifice all those problems for having a head full of hair. Just stop taking it. Bald is beautyful anyway. Bald is tough-looking. You'll look like Shaquille O'Neal. Or at least like Verne Troyer.
Fatal Flying Guillotine providing free surgery for people with Gynecomastia, just ask Dr. Ti Tu Fat

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024