Author Topic: Areolas not shrinking after surgery  (Read 3670 times)

Offline russ306

• Posting Member
okay so I had by surgery about 7 weeks ago. My gynecomastia was very mild and my doctor said there was no fat just a little excess breast tissue. Anyways he told me the areola would shrink to about the size of a nickel after surgery. As of right now they are larger than a quarter. My doctor didn't say how long it would take to shrink and I'm really freaking out about this. I just wanted to get the surgery and have a normal  chest. My chest looks good except it pokes out a little bit. It wasn't like that the week after surgery and my doctor said it was due to swelling. I was reading around on this forum and think the poking out could be due to scar tissue but I'm not sure. My main concern is the areolas so if anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it. Will they still shrink even though its been 7 weeks and they haven't gotten better?

Offline russ306

• Posting Member
Anyone?
I really need help on this
Somebody please respond

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
First off, it wouldn't hurt to share some info about yourself such as age, weight, height, etc.  You said you're 7 weeks Post op as well.  You still have time to wait.  The things you're going through now are most likely normal.  Your areolas are not shrinking?  You may want to post some pictures (if you can) to show people what's going on.  Give it some time, 3-6 months before you start getting really concerned.  If at that time the results aren't as you expected, make a trip back to your PS and discuss it with him.

Recovery is the hardest part of dealing with gyne (or lack thereof) after surgery.  Everyone's different and everyone heals differently after a surgery.  Give it time and remember that your PS will help you down the road if you're still unhappy.

Hang in there.
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Anyone?
I really need help on this
Somebody please respond

Jake, you stole my thunder,

I think people here might be better able to help if you provided more detail:
who performed your surgery?
how did the doctor excise the gland?
did it look good the first day after op and then swell back, or has it looked the same to you from before the surgery?
do you have any pre and post pics that we could look at to get a visual appraisal of your situation?
have you had a chance to speak to your surgeon since your operation?

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Well if your G was very mild - the doc must be laughing all the way to the bank ;D
Took the plunge and had consultation with Dr. Karidis 7th January 2009.
Surgery 26th February 2009.
Just wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17004.0

Offline russ306

• Posting Member
My chest was flat the entire time I wore the compression vest. My PS told me not to wear it anymore and gradually it seems like it got bigger. Right now it pokes out a little bit, not enough to see through my shirt. The only thing that looks bad when I don't wear my shirt is that the areolas are to big. After surgery my chest was completely flat and my areolas were flat and really really wrinkly and shriveld up. Now my chest pokes out a little bit and the areolas are still to big. Is it possible that when I quit wearing the vest that my chest swelled up? It is still really tender to the touch.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Ok, so your nipples are puffing out.  I would bet that what you're dealing with is the formation of scar tissue behind the nipple.  Most times the scar tissue will go away after 6 months to a year.  I know it's a long wait, but you should be a professional at waiting by now.  If your nips are still tender and kind of ache when you touch them, then it IS way too early to worry.  That tenderness will last a few more months and then subside most likely. 

Like I said before, if at 6 months you're still unhappy with how your nips are looking, go back to your PS.  If he is a good surgeon (which I'm assuming he is), he will be able to tell you what's up and if he can fix it via injections or revision surgery.

Still too early to worry.  I hope you have a hobby, because you'll need to try to get your mind off of your chest for a while.
And at the very least, the problem isn't as bad as before!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:31:15 PM by Jake »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024