Author Topic: Going downhill  (Read 2708 times)

Offline onesided

Hi guys,

I am three and a half weeks post op.  I had my surgery done by an nhs breast surgeon.  It was a bi-lateral mastectomy as far as i can remember, and didnt have any lipo.

I only met my surgeon once, a few months before surgery.  I just assumed this was due to the nhs being so busy.  I wasnt given a compression vest or anything else, just had a dressing on each nipple which i was told to remove in the shower after 5 days.

Anyway, to get to the point, all was looking good on day five when i took off the dressing/patches.  But since then things seem to be getting increasingly worse.  

Firstly my left side started to swell up and bruise quite a lot but i didnt think much of it, just that nature was taking its course.  My right side looked a bit butchered but again i just thought id let it heal.  

As the days went by all the swelling on the right side reduced and looked great but now it has started to invert at the top of the nipple and i fear it will only keep getting worse as it is still early days.  

The left side however got worse in a very different way.  It seemed to be getting harder and then i developed a red patch to the side of the nipple.  I put it down to irritation from where the surgeon shaved me, however it got worse and redder so i went to the docs two days ago and he told me the blood under the skin had got infected and put me on a strong dose of anti biotics.

I now have one side that it flat with an inverted nipple and another that its swelled right up, red and infected.

So as you can imagine i am concerned that im gonna be left with a very lopsided , and odd looking chest.

Can anyone give me some hope that things will eventually turn out ok??

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:52:29 PM by onesided »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your first priority should be to treat the infection.  It appears that your left breast is much larger than the right -- perhaps there is a fluid or blood accumulation.  It would be best to discuss the situation with your surgeon -- ASAP -- to determine if it would be wise to perform surgical drainage of the infected fluid.

Do not wait!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline onesided

Thanks for the reply..

Unfortunately like i said i have only met the surgeon once before for about 3 minutes so i dont expect my chances of seeing him are very good.  Typical NHS.. I have seen my gp and he says the antibiotic will sort it, but he could be wrong as i havnt seen improvement now 3 days on.  If anything its got a bit worse.

I dont think there is fluid however.  The area where the redness is, is very hard, like swelling not like fluid., Again i may be wrong. 

Finally i think the pic i posted makes it look worse than it is, size wise, as under a t shirt you cant really tell there is a difference in size.

Should i harass the hospital to get me an appointment with my surgeon (if even poss) , wait another couple of days for antibiotic to take effect, or go back to gp??   

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Like I said, from the photo and what you described, I think it is worthwhile for you to see your surgeon ASAP.

Dr Jacobs

Offline onesided

ok an update.

Before i got a chance to go back to the gp, the fluid started to drain itself, through a little hole in the wound.  The swelling went down hugely.  The redness faded a lot but is still there a small amount.  As the infected fluid continued to drain i went back to the gp who said it was much better but put me on another course of anti biotics to clear it up completely.   

That was monday morning.  The fluid (yellowy red) is still coming out now although in very small amounts each day and the redness is still there in a small patch (although much less bright and obvious).  Ive got two more days of anti biotics to take. 

Ive now noticed that where the drain hole was, there appears to be a tiny ball of tissue sticking out.  I cant feel it when i touch it and it doesnt hurt.  I can only assume its scar tissue or something??

Cant see the doc now till monday.  Assume he will just cut off the tissue sticking out??  Just hope it keeps getting better till then.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024