Author Topic: Question about post-op scars  (Read 1872 times)

Offline appledude

• Posting Member
Hey people,

I'm sure I have gynecomastia, and I've had it for as long as I could remember. My main question to the people who have done the surgery is: how bad is the scaring?  And how do you explain it to people you may be intimate with afterwards?  "yeah I had boobs but i got them removed" seems kind of awkward to me.  Or did your scars vanish completely? (I'm dreaming, aren't I?)

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:44:17 PM by appledude »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Whenever a surgeon seeks to gain access to tissues under the skin, he must make an incision.  The most common incision for gyne surgery is around the edge of the areola.  There may also be other tiny (less than 1/8 inch) incisions elsewhere for liposuction access.

Scars heal depending upon how they are sutured initially, how the patient cares for them, and most importantly, the patient's own body tendencies in healing (which cannot be controlled by patient or surgeon).

All scars are permanent but will fade in time -- and most become hardly noticeable at all.  If there are problems with the scar (ie depressed, elevated, wide, pigmented, red, etc), most plastic surgeons can improve them.

Most guys understand that a scar is basically a trade-off for having a trim, taut and contoured chest -- and will gladly make that trade.

Suggest you speak to your surgeon about anticipated scars during your consultation.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline eyooh

• Bronze Member
I'm almost 3 weeks post op now, and my scars have almost dissapeared!

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
I had lipo-only surgery 7 months ago and the two tiny dots of a scar are virtually invisible.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024