Author Topic: Small Lump 2-6 months post surgery  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Brawny

• Posting Member
I had Gynecomastia surgery March 23rd for minor gland removal under conscious sedation. Everything was great up to two months post. But at the two month mark I started developing a small lump to the bottom left of my areola, not directly under. My right pec didn't develop any lump even though that side had more gland underneath. At the 3 month post-op appointment, I was told by my surgeon to apply hydro-cortisone cream twice daily for a week during the next two months. I did this, but the lump didn't seem to decrease. I continue to massage the area daily. There's no pain or sensitivity there and I don't and haven't used any drugs since surgery. Not even alcohol or prescription meds. I have my 6 month post-op on Sept. 22nd in which I will address it again. Do you guys think this is scar tissue?, and am I overthinking it? Just seems odd the side with less gland has a lump while the previously worse side does not. Should I ask about kenalog injections?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I was told by my surgeon to apply hydro-cortisone cream twice daily for a week during the next two months.
Doing this for a lump under the skin will be the same as applying saliva to the skin and expecting the lump to decrease.
Just seems odd the side with less gland has a lump while the previously worse side does not.
It sounds like you have developed scar tissue -- but only your surgeon can be sure.  As for why scar tissue develops on one side and not the other, that is the mystery of how Mother Nature heals -- welcome to my world!  The surgeon can do the best job possible and yet healing is capricious.

If indeed it is scar tissue, then very carefully injected Kenalog may be helpful.  Good luck.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Brawny

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs for the additional clarification!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024