Author Topic: Compression garment question  (Read 2257 times)

Offline mh1014

Hello. Im hoping to get a doctors input here or someone who has had surgery

I had surgery 6 days ago. I remember being flat the first 2 days or so after. I realize that swelling will occur. My question is about the compression garment i was given. The doctor gave me a garment to try on my first pre op visit. i had the choice of two, and i picked the one that felt more snug even though it didnt feel very tight. After my surgery i saw that my vest had been an "extra small" so i didnt worry about tightness. Then i noticed a stamp with the date "April 17 2001" on the tag. so my vest is that old? Im wondering if i having an outdated compression garment will hinder my ability to heal the most efficiently.

Thank you for your input.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you had been given drugs with that date, then yes it would be out-dated and should not be taken.  But a compression garment is meant to compress externally -- and if it does the job adequately, then it doesn't matter what the date of manufacture (I presume) is.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
No - there isn't an expiry on things like Lycra etc that are used in compression clothes. Athletic compression clothes have been around forever. Well, think of like cyclists and their shorts and shirts.

And they never stretch out when worn and washed and dried properly.

The only problem is if that vest had been washed in hot water, and then put into a dryer many times. That could cause it to lose some of its ability.

Has to be cold washed, and then hung to dry.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024