Author Topic: do i suffer from low testosterone?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline collateral

• Posting Member
i never did the blood test but i just want to know if i have a low testosterone level.

im 19, with gyne

i have high sex drive sometimes, most of the week. strong erection everytime.

i am not able to lift very much in the gym after mastorbition. i feel kinda weak.

i do weight lifting 5 times a week 2 hours a day with massive eating and strength increased, gain about 30lb in 7 month and endurance decreased. i feel i have more energy after workout.

what is the normal testorstone level for a active male like my age? i heard it is about 800-1500?

Offline Blarneystoner

• Gyne sucks
If you're not sure, I suggest you get it checked out by an endocrologist.
Please, Jesus, make my gyne go away!

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
You don't need an endocrinologist in order to get lab work done.  If you want to know for yourself, find a local blood lab and run a few tests.  Testosterone Serum and Estradiol will tell you at least if there is a deficiency but will not tell you why.  You'd probably pay $100-150 for these two tests, but I'm not sure.

If you're worried that there is indeed a problem, speak with an endocrinologist (ask hypo to give you the contact info of an AACE certified endo in your area) and get their recommended blood work done.

Anyway, you feel like you can't work out after you masturbate?  I doubt that has much to do with your testosterone, and more to do with the fact that you've just drained a lot of energy through your masturbation.  

Normal testosterone in your age can range from about 400 to 900, I'd say.  The reason it can be so low is because your body could still be adjusting your hormones from puberty, but typically a healthy man in his early 20s should have between 700-800 ng/dL of Testosterone Serum.  

If your testosterone levels appear low (I'm 18 and my Test. Serum is 424 ng/dL and my Estradiol is 37 pg/mL - not extremely, but somewhat low T and high-normal E) you may want to check them again in 12 months or so for any improvement, and if none can be seen, then consult an endocrinologist about testosterone deficiency treatment.  My endocrinologist told me that it may take up to age 20 before one's hormone levels balance out, and that is why she has decided that I test again in a year in case my body naturally improves my hormones, so I do not suffer any effects of testosterone deficiency treatment.

Anyway, your gyne is probably caused by a low (perhaps not hypogonadal, but low nonetheless) level of testosterone and elevated estrogen.  An analysis of your LH, FSH, and SHBG levels should tell your endo if there's a problem with your testes or pituitary gland, although there are other factors which may need to be taken into account.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 11:10:08 PM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline hypo

Very well articulated Nukem.

99.9% correct :)

I should say that gynecomstia usually resolves and is just a temporary pubertal imbalance and it is quite possible to have normal or high testosterone levels and have gynecomastia.

However;

A lot of men who have gynecomstia of significance (a lot of whom end up here on this site) do tend to have low normal testosterone levels or perhaps not the greatest of androgen to estrogen ratios, which is why for many of the men here the gynecomstia does not resolve post puberty.

10% of all gynecomastia sufferers have hypogondism-low or very low testosterone levels.

Which is why hormonal tests revolving around testosterone are a very good idea for those who have gynecomastia, particularly those considering surgery.

Initial tests should include (Luteinising Hormone) LH and SHBG and Prolactin as well as serum testosterone and estradiol as they can pick up early testicular or pituitary problems and give a good idea as to hormonal health.

Further testing would be made if the endocrinologist felt it was warranted or at the patients insistence if they had symptoms that may relate to an underlying cause of the gynecomastia.  

If you want to put your mind at ease see an appropriate endocrinologist who deals with such matters and have the requisite tests, on which note- if you tell me where you live I will give your the details/contact numbers of such endocrinologists.

P.S

You are more likely not to have low testosterone and a high sex drive whilst not proving anything one way or the other is a god sign- testing is about precautionary health.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024