Author Topic: Causes of scar tissue  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Imbackagain

• Bronze Member
What causes scar tissue? The lypo or the excision... And what is the most common place to get it post op.. Is it normally around the nipel are where the gland is removed or can you get it just  about anywhere on the chest area. Is scar tissue viable to the naked eye?

Thanks in advance

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Almost any injury to any body tissue will leave a scar. Most are not seen though.

A really severe bruise will sometimes leave a hard knot that takes months to soften and feel normal again. That is an example of a scar that is under the skin so it cannot be seen. The lump or knot can be seen, but it will eventually resolve.

Scars in the skin can be seen though. There are a number of tricks that surgeons use to hide the scars. A couple of simple examples would be making an incision in a fold of the skin or making the incision where there is a change of texture or color of the skin. With that in mind, a surgeon will often make their incision along the margin of the areola. There is a normal change of texture and color at that point so the scar is barely noticed.

Scars form under the skin also. So Lipo will cause some scars to form in the fatty layer of tissue. These scars do not show through, but they will give the appearance of swelling until they soften and relax. Just as with the bad bruise, Liposuction causes a tear in the fatty tissue and a scar will result. This is not a reflection on the surgeon so much as it depends upon how you heal and we are all different. These scars will resolve over time.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Imbackagain

• Bronze Member
Right I understand a lot better now.. Your ether a Gyno god or a undercover surgeon, because YOU know your stuff.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I was a medic inthe USAF  from 1955 through 1963. We still had an active draft in those days and even Doctors got drafted. Like many others, I avoided being drafted into the Army by Joining the Air Force. Doctors did the same thing. That meant that we had the brightest and best of Doctors with the latest up to date training in the services.

Military hospitals of that time were complete medical centers and since we dealt with a young and healthy population, The OB unit was a busy place as was the pediatric clinic.

Starting in a polio ward, I later went to an outpatient clinic, Then to pediatrics, Then to OB, Finally to the ER. My last couple of years were as the senior Medic in the ER. Not a Doctor, but I was the guy who would suture you up if you had a laceration. You might be surprised to learn that some Doctors don't get enough practice to be very good at suturing. I would do three to five cases in an average day and got pretty good at it. The Doctors would oversee the work obviously.

Medical information is constantly being updated so old information should be suspect. Information over 15 years old could be out of date. Most of what I know is now 50 years old. Some things do not change, but much of what I know is now wrong.

The person who is really in charge of the ER is the person doing triage. In a civilian hospital of today that would probably be a nurse or doctor who specialized in emergency care. In the military hospital of 1963 it would have been someone like me. It scares me just to remember it. What does the Doctor usually say? Who do you want me to see next? 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Scar tissue is the normal and natural body reaction to any injury, be it accidental or in surgery.  In essence, the body heals with scar tissue in response to injury -- it does not heal with normal tissue.

If you have ever had a pimple or acne on your face, your body has healed with scar tissue -- not normal skin.

When it comes to gyne surgery, most of which is performed beneath the skin, the body will heal with scar tissue along the incision and also beneath the skin.  Scar tissue can easily be seen under the microscope but not with normal vision except if it is on the surface of the body.

And yes, whether lipo alone or excision + lipo is done, scar tissue has a predilection for forming directly under the areola.  Fortunately, if it forms in excess, it can be treated with cortisone injections.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline xelnaga13

Dr. Jacobs hit the nail on the head. Most of the regular commentators on this site are presurgery or non surgery acceptance guys.

Very seldom do I notice a guy have great results and then hanging around regardless (except me).

I have noticed that a lot of "horror" stories are completely preventable.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024