Author Topic: Insurance coverage for surgery  (Read 1605 times)

Offline drg

• Posting Member
Anyone know if insurance covers the costs of surgery? I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield of FLorida. Is there a way that at least some of the costs can be covered? Thanks

hammer

Not very often! Sad thing is, if you were a woman and needed a breast reduction due to pain in the back, neck and shoulders it would be covered, but as a male is isn't!

I've heard of it being coverd if it cause mental distress, but would you want that on your medical record?

You could give it a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Good luck.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Time for a reality check.

Most people choose their medical coverage on the basis of cost and to hold the costs down, the Insurance company excludes more things.

The same is true whether the person selecting the policy is you or your boss. We want the best overall coverage at the lower cost. One of the easiest things to leave out, is any surgery that can can be labeled as non essential. Since Gynecomastia seldom involves pathology, and the effects are psychological rather than physical, It is one of the easiest things to leave out of the coverage.

If you have a high dollar comprehensive medical plan, it may be covered. Major procedures are usually approved in advance. Have your Doctor submit a request and see what happens. A few men have been pleasantly surprised.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024