Author Topic: Plastic Surgeon referring to general surgeon ???  (Read 2597 times)

Offline wvalum07

• Posting Member
I went today for a first consultation with a plastic surgeon for correction of gynecomastia i've had since puberty (i am now 29). He is referring me to a general surgeon because he says that if a GS does it, insurance will pay. Now that sounds great in all, but the money is not necessarily important to me. I've worked hard and have to money to fund a surgery that is 100% correct.
Should I be concerred with going to GS instead, and does that not seem really weird that he would give up the business to someone else?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Unless the general surgeon is trained in liposuction and does a lot of gynecomastia surgery with excellent cosmetic results, I would be hesitant to go that direction just to have it covered.  First off, if the general surgeon is getting the procedure covered, it's by using a different code (breast biopsy code) rather than the proper code (for treatment of gynecomastia).  If the procedure is a "breast biopsy," you will not be likely to have a good cosmetic outcome.  Take your time and find a gynecomastia surgeon!

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery