Author Topic: Possible hormonal change after surgery?  (Read 3759 times)

Offline MonarchX

• Bronze Member
I'm 19 and by my age the gland was supposed to be inactive.

Would surgery have any impact on hormones?  Temporary healing changes?  No?

I noticed severe sex drive reduction after 2 months post-op.
I hope its just college stress.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
there should no hormonal changes as a result of the surgery.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You may be right about the stress. There should be no hormonal impact due to the surgery.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Hypo-is-here

MonarchX,

Libido is part psychology and part physiology, in much the same way as erections.  For this reason it can be notoriously difficult to get to the bottom of what is causing low libido.

The operation itself is not going to have caused any hormonal problem, but stress can easily reduce libido.

An easy and basic was (not full proof and not a replacement for endocrine investigations) of considering if lowered libido is being caused by an androgen/estrogen imbalance or by psychology is the following.

Upon waking up in the morning a mans natural circadian hormonal cycle and LH pulsatile release should mean that he wakes up with an erection, this is a physiological as opposed to psychological response of the male body to hormones.

Sometimes if a man has a hormone problem this does not occur and the man wakes up without an erection.  Because the above rules out the psychological (given consciousness is not involved) it is a useful way of differentiating between psychology and physiology when it comes to libido and performance issues-.at least in relation to androgen/estrogen.

If you wake up with an erection a androgen/estrogen problem is less likely to be a cause for poor libido or performance.  Any noticeable decline in the strength of morning erections can be an indicator of changing hormonal status.

Maybe I am telling people something the already know- if not perhaps such information is helpful.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
now Im worried.

I havent been waking with a morning glory for like the past 2 or so years --  - - -  and Im only 26.

*gulp*

I have been suffering with depression and mild anxiety, but still ... would this alone lead to an absence of morning boners ?
... and the saga continues

Offline Hypo-is-here

now Im worried.

I havent been waking with a morning glory for like the past 2 or so years --  - - -  and Im only 26.

*gulp*

I have been suffering with depression and mild anxiety, but still ... would this alone lead to an absence of morning boners ?

NO.

Depression is psychological and morning erections are physiological.  If you are not having morning erections then there is a physiological cause.  The cause could be hormonal or due to vascular issues, either way it has nothing whatsoever to do with any mind set.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:53:02 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

NO.

Depression is psychological and morning erections are physiological.  If you are not having morning erections then there is a physiological cause.  The cause could be hormonal or due to vascular issues, either way it has nothing whatsoever to do with any mind set.

shiit Im getting scared now.
Youve been down this path before with me , chris.
I was just hoping that everything was "normal" in the androgen dept. with me, since I last went to that endo in Feb.

By the way, can  frequency of sex and/or masturbation influence frequency/regularity of morning wood?

also does the strength of the morning wood matter much ?

cheers,
T
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:57:52 PM by tonysoprano »

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
a lot of times guys have erections at different times...a lot of times it's early in the morning but before the guy is awake so he thinks there was no erection but really there was.  all i can say is that i don't wake up with an erection every morning but it all works (very) well when i need it to, lol. so i wouldn't focus too much on that.

Offline Hypo-is-here

a lot of times guys have erections at different times...a lot of times it's early in the morning but before the guy is awake so he thinks there was no erection but really there was.  all i can say is that i don't wake up with an erection every morning but it all works (very) well when i need it to, lol. so i wouldn't focus too much on that.

I am not talking about your personal situation but the wider implications generally for a lack of morning erections and the causes thereof.  I don't think you understand the process/mechanism involved and you are down playing what morning erections signify.  They are not the same as erections at other points in the day as they only relate to physiology and not psychology.

Hospitals even investigate nocturnal and morning erections via rigidity tests precisely because they only relate to physiology.   This is done in those that they suspect have a hormonal or vascular problem etc causing erectile dysfunction.

If a man has a looses morning erections then that can often be due to a hormone or vascular problem.

Read up about the stamp test or self erection test.

That is something that details more about possible causes of a loss of morning erections, explains how this separates the physical from the psychological and allows the individual to evaluate whether or not they are having morning/nocturnal erections without realising it.

Bare in mind if you do not have morning/nocturnal erections as evidenced by the stamp test and you have gynecomastia, that a hormonal cause now has at least two indicators as a possibility- one being an associated condition (but another cause for both is still possible).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:48:19 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

shiit Im getting scared now.
Youve been down this path before with me , chris.
I was just hoping that everything was "normal" in the androgen dept. with me, since I last went to that endo in Feb.

By the way, can  frequency of sex and/or masturbation influence frequency/regularity of morning wood?

also does the strength of the morning wood matter much ?

cheers,
T

^bump^

what do you reckon hypo?

Offline Hypo-is-here

You have gone through endocrine matters before as I recall Tony and ran into a dead end due to boarderline results and Australian interpretation of reference values.

I don't know how much more I can add.

Could this be another pointer to a hormonal issue?

Yes.

Does it have to be caused by a hormonal issue?

No.

Do we think you have a hormonal problem anyway?

Perhaps.

Can you get a trial of relevant treatment to evaluate whether or not you are suffering from a hormonal problem?

Apparently not.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024