Author Topic: Any photos of revision with fat transfer/fat grafting?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
I'm trying to find cases of people who had too much fat and gland removed and then had a revision with fat transfer or grafting and improved the botched surgery. Any help please?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You can find photos of crater revision in the photo gallery ("Before and After") on my website, captioned below.  Bear in mind, it is very difficult to photograph a crater -- one has to try to get shadows to illustrate its depth.  All these patients were treated with fat flap reconstruction -- no fat grafting.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
You can find photos of crater revision in the photo gallery ("Before and After") on my website, captioned below.  Bear in mind, it is very difficult to photograph a crater -- one has to try to get shadows to illustrate its depth.  All these patients were treated with fat flap reconstruction -- no fat grafting.

Dr Jacobs

Wonderful results Dr. Jacobs

Offline ajiet

• Posting Member
Are fat transfer and fat grafting the same things or is there any difference? Kindly post your experience after you are done with the revision. Looking for the same.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Fat transfer and fat grafting are the same technique.  In essence, fat cells are removed from one part of the body, purified and concentrated, and then re-injected to another part of the body.  During the purification process, the fat cells are literally out of the body and are, of course, deprived of any blood supply.  When injected into the body, the fat cells regain new blood supply.  However, not all cells survive the transfer or regain blood supply -- they die.  That is why fat grafting is always problematic -- there is no way to predict the percentage of survival of fat cells transplanted.  And that is why oftentimes more than one fat grafting session/operation is required to achieve a satisfactory result.

Fat flaps are different.  Local fat tissue is loosened adjacent to the defect and then moved in to fill the defect (crater) while it is still attached to its blood supply.  Therefore, there is much less chance of the fat cells dying.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ajiet

• Posting Member
Thanks Doctor. From what we've heard fat grafting/transfer is minimal invasive, is it same for fat flaps too? Does fat flap technique leave any scar? What type of anesthesia is required for fat flap procedure?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are correct -- fat grafting is minimally invasive -- but it still requires some type of anesthesia.

Fat flaps are more invasive and require an incision around the edge of the areola (which leaves a scar) and also requires anesthesia.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DannyH

• Posting Member
OP: If I may also comment (from experience): fat transfer does nothing except maybe for really tight smile lines and stuff. Anything larger, the fat cells just die without ever getting a blood supply, and it's highly debatable that they were ever alive but l reckon a "proportion" were. Honestly it's better to just draw pictures of your ideal self and feel  a buzz from that, keep your money. 

I have no experience of fat flaps so cannot add anything to that debate - I hope it works if you try it!!! :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024