Author Topic: smoking and post op healing  (Read 5413 times)

Offline ace007

• Posting Member
I'm a smoker and i will undergo surgery in 2 weeks.  Does anyone know the effects of smoking on the healing process?  is there any?

Offline happyguy

• Posting Member
Smoking is not good for the healing process. I smoked before my op, quit 10 days before, haven´t had a cigarette since (I´m now 9 days post). It really was easy to quit considering how important the op was.

It´s the nicotine that´s bad for the healing. So unfortunately you can´t use any substitutes either as you stop smoking.

Small blood vessels and nerves need to re-connect after the op. Nicotine makes the vessels contract thus making it harder for them to connect. According to my doc. Good luck!

Offline ace007

• Posting Member
thx for letting me know

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
ace007...

Smoking is very harmful to the body period! Not just while recovering from surgery.

Stop smoking now! You'll be glad you did....   ;)

John.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:46:59 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline saile

• Posting Member
i was advised that nicotine disturbs the healing process aswell.

Offline ace007

• Posting Member
I stopped smoking about 11 days before the surgery.  I am now 2 days post-op and still haven't smoked.  Hopefully I'll be done with  smoking for good.   :)

Offline Grrrrr

• Posting Member
ace007...

Smoking is very harmful to the body period! Not just while recovering from surgery.

Stop smoking now! You'll be glad you did....   ;)

John.

lol

It's so easy for non-smokers to make statements like that. If only they knew  ::)

Offline guyfrompuebla

• Posting Member
it's not recommended to smoke 20 days before surgery or 20 days after. That's how it rolls according to some website ive read. i quit smoking 5 days before surgery and now im 12 days postop, haven't smoked one cig. im happy with my decision, i guess ill continue smoking in a week.

Offline budselect

• Posting Member
I pretty much quit 3 weeks pre-op and I am now 1 month post and have not smoked, cigarettes that is  ;D    I had a surgery last year that failed from wound dehiscence (tissues did not reconnect with each other)  and I'm pretty sure its from the cigarette smoking...
22 y/o
Los Angeles, Ca
Puffy Nipples for 3 years!!! Sucks...

Offline ozymandias

• Posting Member
Hola,

Just to add to everyone else: I smoked maybe a pack a week, but quit 4 weeks before surgery.  Now 5 weeks post-op and haven't picked up a cig yet!  Although I do get cravings once in a long while...

The importance of this op is a great motivating factor for you to quit.  Use the opportunity!  You will feel much better afterward...

Offline Itchyboobs76

smoke weed instead helps you heal  8)

Offline boobylon

• Posting Member
i stopped 4 days before and for a week after ops, i hope smoking has not affected my recovery, iam 2 months post op now,

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024