Author Topic: Gynecomastia? I'm confused!  (Read 2667 times)

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi Birdie

Gosh, it sounds like the dark ages!  I can see from your posts that you've accepted yourself as a woman, but it would be nice to have formal/legal backup.  Not related to your situation, but I'm old enough to remember it being illegal to be gay here in the UK.  People were charged and imprisoned.  Fortunately things have moved on since then and for the better.

Dunno if you like films, but I watched The Imitation Game a while ago, which was about Alan Turing cracking the code for the German Enigma machine, shortening the war.  He was gay and the UK government rewarded him for his efforts with 'chemical castration' and the side effects were so bad he killed himself.

It must be like trying to push a wheelbarrow up a hill, trying to convince these morons.  Would it help to get any legal advice?  Maybe a solicitor could give you some options?

I did another quick google, and found quite a few intersex forums - some in the USA - would you be able to get advice from there?  Not that I'm trying to get rid of you, of course! :-)

Of course, it all depends how far you want to take it legally.  Accepting yourself and sticking two fingers up to the medical profession might be a good option for you whereas fighting it out can take its toll on your health.

Maybe it's time to put your expert skill of acceptance into practice, and you're right, it changes nothing.  You can still identify as a woman of course.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do :-)

Cheers

Steve

Brdy64

Maybe it's time to put your expert skill of acceptance into practice, and you're right, it changes nothing.  You can still identify as a woman of course.
My setiments exactly 👍
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 10:18:09 AM by 💁Birdie💖 »

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi Birdie

How are you doing?  Are you ok now you've had some time to digest your recent visit to the hospital?

I'm feeling pretty good today.  My sleep has been pants for ages, but I slept like a log last night :D:D:D

Cheers

Steve

Brdy64

Hello Stevey,

Life goes on, everything is just fine. 

There really isn't much new other than knowing. 
A few unanswered questions have been answered, so that as a plus. 
Settling on to where I fit into society is a bit of a challenge, but it always had been. 
I rock the androgynous look, but a nice strapless summer dress isn't something I'll walk away from either. 

I guess I'm finding myself, and at about 60 it's been a bit late at coming. There is still much to do, but I'll get there. 

My doctors can just go "pound sand" as far as I'm concerned. I have no need for their input in the matter. 

But life just goes on!

How are you doing 

Birdie

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi Birdie

I replied to your message the other and now I can't see it?  Confusing!

Here goes again lol:

I think many people are finding themselves, particularly on a forum like this one.

I had to Google 'Pound Sand' and found the English equivalent is 'go fly a kite' or 'take a long walk off a short pier' lol.

I'm fine thanks. Had a great time with the family.  Back home this morning on the train so I'll be watching films for a few hours.  Nice.

My daughter spoiled me on Father's day and last night we all had take-away Chinese which was scrummy.

On the Gyne front, I think I am going to ask my doc for a full hormone work-up to try and avoid an operation in the future.  If it turns out to be idiopathic, well then op it will be, but I feel much more relaxed about it, mostly from chatting with you, so thanks for that :-)

Well I'd better get off and pack as my train is in a couple of hours.

Cheers

Steve

Offline benusa

• Silver Member
Hi Stevey,

I’m interested in what you said about anastrazole causing Stevens Johnson syndrome.

My doctor had me on a high dose and I’ve absolutely confirmed it caused some unusual side effects. I had extreme joint stiffness which especially effected my extremities. I had difficulty going up stairs and even opening doorknobs or turning screwdriver at times.

I can lower my dose and I don’t have those effects but I’m scared to take it. I have never heard of this syndrome.

-Ben

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
Stevey, check your personal messages (PM's)

Justagirl 💖
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi BenUSA

I think Steven's Johnson syndrome is quite rare, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get it of course!  I assuem from your handle, you're in the USA.  I'm in the UK, but I found an excellent resource for meds info:

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/

It's the British National Formulary and it's the one the doctors use.  For Lamotrigine:

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/lamotrigine/

Side-effects

Side-effects For lamotrigine

Common or very common
Aggression; agitation; arthralgia; diarrhoea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; fatigue; headache; irritability; nausea; pain; rash; sleep disorders; tremor; vomiting
Uncommon
Alopecia; movement disorders; vision disorders
Rare or very rare
Confusion; conjunctivitis; disseminated intravascular coagulation; face oedema; fever; haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis; hallucination; hepatic disorders; lupus-like syndrome; lymphadenopathy; meningitis aseptic; multi organ failure; nystagmus; seizure; severe cutaneous adverse reactions (SCARs); tic
Frequency not known
Suicidal behaviours
Side-effects, further information
Serious skin reactions including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis have developed (especially in children); most rashes occur in the first 8 weeks. Rash is sometimes associated with hypersensitivity syndrome and is more common in patients with history of allergy or rash from other antiepileptic drugs. Consider withdrawal if rash or signs of hypersensitivity syndrome develop. Factors associated with increased risk of serious skin reactions include concomitant use of valproate, initial lamotrigine dosing higher than recommended, and more rapid dose escalation than recommended.

Allergy and cross-sensitivity

Allergy and cross-sensitivity For lamotrigine

Antiepileptic hypersensitivity syndrome associated with lamotrigine. See under Epilepsy for more information.

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers

Steve

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi JustaGirl

I checked my PM's thanks and responded :-)  Soz I've not posted up for a while - my sleep has been rubbish for a while, so I've spent some time sleeping in the day, which I know you're not supposed to do, but I can't stay awake lol.

We're having a nice chilled day today with Rosie, our granddaughter.  My daughter has severe toothache and needed a break and we're more than happy to have this little package :-)

Well, we're off running around again tomorrow.  Up to Norwich on the train for a few days which will be around 6 hours.  More films and sandwiches lol.  I'll take my laptop and try and post up while we're away.  We're visiting my (other) daughter who has just got her uni results and she's got a 1st!  Time for a celebration. I can feel a beer and curry coming on :-)

On the gyne front, my nipples no longer hurt, which is pleasing.  I don't know if it's wearing the nipple covers, giving them a break, or just changes in the tissue, but I'm pleased.  So as things stand, I don't really care about it.  The tissue has thickened, but it's still not obvious and no pain.  Time to celebrate!

Anyway, how are you doing?  Good I hope :-)

Let me know any goss you have and I'll do my best to reply while away.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Justagirl💃

Hello Stevey, 

Great that your get to spend time with the grandchildren, they are really fun. 
Sounds like you spend more time on the train than at home? 
Must be nice trekking all over the UK like that seeing all the scenery. I envy you, I truly do. 🤔

I'll respond better when I make it home today. 

Justagirl 💖

Offline Justagirl💃

Hello Stevey, 

As promised I'm writing back. It's been grand here across the pond, but rather busy. I took my first trip out since my health scare last week. I wasn't exactly scurrying about like I normally do, rather slowly making progress from shop to shop browsing. I'm doing much better but still easily winded. 
Behaving myself, I only purchased one item all day, except for a bit of Chinese food. 
Have you checked into getting your blood work done up as you wished? It seems so very important to you. Please keep us posted on your travels as well. 

Justagirl 💖

Offline gotgyne

Hi Stevey,
if I were you, I wouldn't much worry about the problems. You've got a mammogram and a blood test for testosterone. All normal. Why not try a bra and see if it helps? I hope your wife is cooperative. There are a lot of men at your age and younger who could benefit from wearing a bra. But society often has not a mature judgement of men wearing them. This should not stop you. It's your health and if it helps, do it.
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi GotGyne

Thanks for your post, but it's not so bad yet that I think I need a bra.  It would of course, help with the nipple pain, but I bought some silicone stick-on nipple covers (see other post) which work very well for me.  Of course, if I get some decent girly boobs, I would wear a bra without hesitation.  I'm sure my wife would be supportive, so no worries there.

On the whole I'd like to think that if I needed one, I'd wear one, irrespective of what others thought.

Keep Smilin' ;D

Steve

Offline stevey

• Posting Member
Hi JustaGirl

How are things going?  I've not posted for a few days as have been recovering from the long journey back home.  It's just sitting on the train, but it tired me out.  Ye gods I'm an old fart!

I'm pleased to say my nipple pain has subsided.  It did get so bad that it was painful when they rubbed against clothes, hence the nipple covers, but it's changed now I'm pleased to say.

I've not chased up the blood test, but will do soon.  It's been so busy running around the country visiting family lol.  Busy but nice :-)

Well, it's going to be a riveting day today, when we got back, the weeds have grown in the grass.  It looked like a jungle lol.  So I'll be on my knees with a funny little weeding tool for most of the day.  Hope I can get up again :'(

Anyway, let me know what's happening for you when you can.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Justagirl💃

Hello Stevey, 

Yes, the weight of it all hits you as soon as you're home from traveling. The garden doesn't keep itself, and grows out wildly when left to its own.
Sounds like you're awfully busy these days with all the traveling about and riveting work at home, but that is what keeps us young. 😉
I don't have a garden anymore since I rent a flat in a large complex, I do however have my sill plants that keep me occupied. I have heard from friends that it has been unusually warm there, so please do drink plenty of water, being outside and all. 

Do keep in touch

Justagirl💖

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024