Author Topic: Weight loss BEFORE surgery or not?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Creative12

• Posting Member
Hi people. It is finally time for my surgery!

My doctor gave me 2 alternatives, loosing as much weight as I can and afterward it is ok to gain it. Or just keep my weight (174cm,75kg) and not gain fat.

It is 2 weeks for the surgery, What do you think I should do?

PS. My plan after the surgery is to go to the gym 3 times a week and get bigger arms shulders and really big chest!

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
your weight is perfect to your hight, u dont need to loose more weight.

Bye Wolfman
i finally feel like im a man

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Well I wouldnt recommend a drastic change in diet or excercise, your weight does sound fine.

Your BMI came up as a 24.7 meaning that you are in healthy shape

*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
I don't think BMI matters that much; I think body fat percentage is a better indicator. I'm normal BMI but 25-26 percent fat, which is too high.

Offline Creative12

• Posting Member
Oh, and i have a bodyfat of 18%.

Offline Creative12

• Posting Member
My surgery Is 30 of April. Am I late or can i still affect the result?

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
Ideal would be 16% but you are in good shape at 18.  Keep working out though, you may drop a little. Also after the surgery you wont be able to so get those workouts in now while you can.

Offline Creative12

• Posting Member
do i get better results if i go down to 70 before the surgery.

DrBermant

My doctor gave me 2 alternatives, loosing as much weight as I can and afterward it is ok to gain it. Or just keep my weight (174cm,75kg) and not gain fat.

PS. My plan after the surgery is to go to the gym 3 times a week and get bigger arms shulders and really big chest!

My typical recommendation is for patients to get to a weight they are happy with and then consider their surgical options. 

Weight loss will not reduce the gland component of gynecomastia, but may help with the fat component.  With a BMI (Body Mass Index) calculation at the high limit of overweight and a body fat analyzers you can help determine if there may be a global fat issue.  If planning weight loss,  losing weight before gynecomastia surgery is typically better than weight loss after.  As a good sculptor, I prefer using a coarse tool first, and then the refining tools.  Losing weight is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat comes from.  Plastic Surgery is better reserved for refinement.  Having surgery and then depending that weight loss will come off as you want is a gamble.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Creative12

• Posting Member

My typical recommendation is for patients to get to a weight they are happy with and then consider their surgical options. 

Weight loss will not reduce the gland component of gynecomastia, but may help with the fat component.  With a BMI (Body Mass Index) calculation at the high limit of overweight and a body fat analyzers you can help determine if there may be a global fat issue.  If planning weight loss,  losing weight before gynecomastia surgery is typically better than weight loss after.  As a good sculptor, I prefer using a coarse tool first, and then the refining tools.  Losing weight is a coarse tool, you cannot pick where the fat comes from.  Plastic Surgery is better reserved for refinement.  Having surgery and then depending that weight loss will come off as you want is a gamble.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Hi doctor,
I have very much hair round the nipples, Should I shave it or pull it off from the root the day before surgey, beacuse my hair attends to grow underneath the skin for some reason, which often leads to infection.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024