Author Topic: Lab results conversion help needed  (Read 1768 times)

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
I'm abroad and have some new labs, but they are in Euro-style, so I'm having a hard time comparing them with some old US labs and ranges.

The only abnormal I have, according to the lab, is Free T: 27.5 pmol/L (31.0-163.0).
How bad is this for a 52 year old male?
I hear there are a variety of ways to calculate Free T. What is the best way?
If this is indeed abnormal, what are my next steps, besides an endo? What other tests should I look for?

(My regular T is 54 pmol/L, which I believe translates to 408 (low normal, bottom decile) in the States. (12.0-36.0)
SHBG is 28.9 nmol/L (10.0-70.0)
I also have something here called FAI which is 49.5 with no measurement or range supplied.
Thoughts?

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
Yes, I know but .... any experts out there to analyze these numbers? Hypo? He still around?

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
All of those of those are in the normal range, although the E2 is a little on the borderline low side, actually, which is odd.

Yeah, wish Hypo was still around. He was quite helpful. It's so hard to get good endo advice online or off. One can learn a lot on this board about surgery and emotional support and a few other things, but when it comes to the endo end of it, particularly for older guys, there seems to be no solid equivalent adviser; Hypo was the closest thing. Maybe he's busy getting his M.D, lol. Let's hope it's nothing serious.

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
Just a follow up: My T/E2 ratio is like 28-29, which for a 52 year old is pretty good, although 408/14 is not as good as 600/20 would be, I admit.

But considering the above labs, what other sort of hormonal imbalance/deficiency could cause gyne and low musclemass/ fat distribution issues, low body/facial hair growth, long arms. (I'm negative for KS and KS mosaicism, and have a good sense of smell, so no Kallman's, either.)

With my labs, I have been to like five docs, three of them endos, and none of them want me on HRT. Or can they give me an answer beyond idiopathic for the gyne. (But I sense they don't spend enough time looking, because I'm not an interesting enough research project.)

Also, what is low libido at my age (52) and after 20 years of marriage? My morning wood is now only like twice a week or so. No performance problems, when it's needed, except for the rare repeat performance request, and then we're talking hours. Mentally, though, there is a real decline, but I assume that is more relationship-oriented than hormonal, no?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024