Author Topic: Error in Free T test from the lab?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
In one test, in Australia, I have a Free T of 27.5 pmol/l with a normal range of 31.0-163.0 pmol/l. Abnormal.
In another test, in the US, I have a 124 pg/ml with a normal range of 31.0-163.0 pg/ml. Normal.

When I convert my 27.5 pmol/L to pg/ml I get 124 pg/ml, which is in the normal range, well in the normal range.

How can this be? The same test is abnormal in one range in one country and well within normal in another?

I did the conversion through a formula on the web, simly multiplying the pmol/L by 4.54.

Am I missing something here?

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
The US test was taken almost three years ago. The AU test was taken a week ago and showed the abnormal levels in Free T. But when I converted the AU levels to US levels, I was no longer abnormal. It seems—and I could be wrong, we need hypo-in-here, I guess—that the range is off on one of these tests, and I suspect it is the US one, as I am dead borderline low on E2 and pretty low on regular T and fairly low normal on SHBG (and I was three years ago.) So, a solid normal free T seems less likely than an abnormal one, if that makes sense.

Offline kirribilli

• Posting Member
Perhaps the conversion factor is off? Anyone know? I'm finding different ones on the web. Sure would be nice if the U.S. would get on the same standard as the rest of the world.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024