Author Topic: Well, it's all finally happening.  (Read 3220 times)

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
I'm having my surgery with Fielding in Toronto in a few weeks. I'm both very excited and terrified at the same time. My biggest fear (irrational, I know) is of being 'put under' with general anesthetic.

I haven't told anybody that I'm having the procedure. Is this common? Are there many of you that keep the procedure completely secret? I also don't plan on telling anybody; there just isn't anybody I know that I'm comfortable sharing this information with.

I'm also planning on flying out of Toronto 2 days post-op, which I was told is acceptable/common from Fielding. I'm worried about how I'll carry my luggage back with me. What did you folks do? Do airlines have a service to carry your luggage if you're unable?

From those of you who've had the surgery done, is there anything I'm failing to consider?

Thanks. I'm a bit nervous about everything.

Offline sinaloa

• Posting Member
I doubt you would need luggage if its only for 2 days.

I brought a gym bag with me and had a pair of shorts and some changes of underwear etc.

pack lightly.  I had no problem carrying the light gym bag.

It is very normal to try and hide it.  Most people don't understand that it is a condition and that surgery is the only cure.  People uneducated about gyne think that you eat too much or need to work out.  We know that isn't the case.

I have been hiding mine for over a wk.  only person that knows is my fiance.  i wear a t-shirt with a track jacket and no one has noticed a thing.

Good luck. 

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
The only thing is, I'll be in TO for more than a few days. I'm also going to be there for a handful of days pre-op.

I'll pack as light as possible... best I can do.

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
Sinaloa, did you find it difficult to travel by plane 2 days after surgery. Please let me know if there are any considerations I should make.

Offline 854clc

• Posting Member
I had the exact same concerns when I had surgery with Fielding last month!

General Anaesthetic:

I was terrified about it as well. I told the anaesthesiologist this, and he told me that he would give me premedication to "calm me down" before I was put to sleep. When he began putting in the medications, he told me that the first one would not put me to sleep, but "calm me down". However, I don't remember anything after that first medication. You won't remember a thing...and the anaesthesiolgist I had seemed very capable and he knew what he was doing.

Baggage:

I took a carry on baggage with wheels. I packed a lot of clothes (though I used barely any). The weight was well over 5 pounds. I got a lot of help - the taxi drivers would put it in the taxi for me, the hotel staff would put the bag on the table in my room, etc. Pulling it in Pearson airport as a carry on wasn't difficult. You can even check in the bag if you like. However, there were some problems with the airport + airplane. I asked for assistance with the bag at the check in, and the staff said "you're liable for your own bag", which is understandable. When I reached the security checkpoint and I told the staff that I can't lift the bag because of injury, they seemed to look a bit suspicious, but after 2 requests they lifted it  for me and put it in the scanner. Afterwards, in the airplane, I told the flight attendant I was injured and I couldn't put the bag in the overhead bin, and I asked her if she could. She said "NO...its YOUR bag that you are liable for...if you're injured and you know you can't carry it, you shouldn't be taking this bag with you". And I was flying busines class! She took me to a closet on the plane (not all planes have this), and told me to lift the bag in to the closet (and she refused to put it in the closet for me). So I had to lift the bag about 10 cm and push it...fortunately it was quick and just a little pain.

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
God, I find the comments by the airline staff totally unacceptable.  What airline was that?  I promise NEVER to fly them!  I would have had her (airline stewardess) name and reported her the minute I got home.  I know United Airlines employees now own shares in their own employment so if they are rude or inappropriate they are screwing their own future.  Believe me, that doesn't stop some of them, however.  The travel industry is suffering because of the recession and the "bog shots" really DO take the customers comments seriously finally.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
God, I find the comments by the airline staff totally unacceptable.

Same here my man!

If that were me, that girl would have gotten an earful...   :P

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline 854clc

• Posting Member
This was Air Canada...and it was Executive Class! And of course, when it was time to get out of the plane, she refused to pull my bag out of the closet, so I had to do it (but again, quick and just a little pain). And the flight attendant was wearing a nametag that had illegible letters (the nametag was old), so I can't even report her!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You should contact A/C and make some inquiries.

First off, I'd ask if that sort of attendant conduct is airline policy, or did that individual bestow it upon herself to treat you in a less than hospitable manner...

I'd be writing a letter to one of the higher-ups for sure!

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024