Author Topic: Is it easier for surgeons if you show up to surgery cut and muscular?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
I've noticed the best after photos on here tend to be with guys who were trim and muscular before surgery. 

If we show up to surgery as cut and muscular as possible, will this help the surgeon produce a better result?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
90% yes.  i.a.n.a.d., but if you're way overweight, it's a more complicated job.  you want to get to your ideal target weight so that anything that's not supposed to be there stands out as obvious.  also, i would think a job that looks okay when you were heavy may not look as okay if you lose more weight after because it was harder to predict how to wrap it up with all the other mass in the way.  

the 10% part is, if you're rippling veins with .00001% bf, they don't have much to work with to even out the contours.  but this is rarely a problem, most people just get it down to near normal first.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with HHH.

It is not what is "easier" for the surgeon (we can deal with all types of problems) but what would yield the best results.  Quite obviously, the better shape you are in prior to surgery, the better the result (ie, trim, contoured and buff).

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I've noticed the best after photos on here tend to be with guys who were trim and muscular before surgery. 

If we show up to surgery as cut and muscular as possible, will this help the surgeon produce a better result?

90% yes.  i.a.n.a.d., but if you're way overweight, it's a more complicated job.  you want to get to your ideal target weight so that anything that's not supposed to be there stands out as obvious.  also, i would think a job that looks okay when you were heavy may not look as okay if you lose more weight after because it was harder to predict how to wrap it up with all the other mass in the way. 

the 10% part is, if you're rippling veins with .00001% bf, they don't have much to work with to even out the contours.  but this is rarely a problem, most people just get it down to near normal first. 

Right on target headheldhigh01.  For my competition athletes and others who aim for extremely low body fat levels, I suggest surgery at their off season body fat, so I have something to sculpt with and target gland first.  For others, my recommendation is to get to a body fat / weight they are comfortable with before surgery.  Surgery is not a good jump starting tool for weight loss.  You cannot target where the weight comes from. Losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic Surgery is better for refinement.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
Thanks everybody.  At my most in shape, I weighed 178 pounds.  At my chubbiest, I was about 205.  I plan on showing up to surgery in the low 180s.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:59:17 PM by Wayne1985 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024