Author Topic: Compression Vest vs. Ace Bandage  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Argo

• Posting Member
  • Finally Flat-chested!!
I'm six days post-op.  Perusing the various entries here on the board, I see that it's about evenly split between plastic surgeons who want their gynecomastia patients to use compression vests and those who advocate an ace bandage.  My doctor wrapped me up in an ace bandage (with a piece of foam underneath that covers most of my upper chest.)  It wasn't uncomfortable, but it was cumbersome.  I ordered a compression vest from //www.underworks.com and it came yesterday.  (Yeah, like I know better than my doctor.)  I put it on and would you believe that I didn't get as much compression as I do with the ace bandage?  So today I have on the compression vest with the foam pad underneath (as it tends to even out the pressure) but might go back to the ace bandage tonight.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter.  It would be particularly interesting to read the comments of the plastic surgeons lurking out there on the pros and cons of vests and ace bandages.

Offline fleetwd

• Silver Member
  • free as of 10-19-2004!! WOO HOO!
i had an ace and it was plenty tight...i could take it off for an hour 2 times a day for 3 weeks....wasn't bad but was pretty tight.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
What's an 'Ace' bandage? I've seen the compression vests but have not heard of an ace bandage.

TIA....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 07:11:40 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Argo

• Posting Member
  • Finally Flat-chested!!
"Ace" must refer to the brand name as I've never heard it called anything else.  Anyway, it's just a bandage with longitudinal elastic threads in it that allow it to stretch in one dimension as you wrap it around you you to increase the torque.  They're best known as something you'd wrap sprained ankles, wrists, etc with to keep the injured joint from moving too much.  The one my PS used on me was about 6" wide by 72" long.

Argo

ifgyne2

Hello--I usually don't like compression vests--sure they look nice and can be put on easily--BUT THEY SIMPLY DON"T PROVIDE THE NECESSARY COMPRESSION.  Instead, I use a binder which has two and sometimes three overlapping straps which fasten with velcro.  Easy on and easy off, and you can vary the tightness as much as necessary.  I prefer the binder to be worn fairly snug (but not so tight that you can't breathe).  Usually my patients will take it off after two days for their first (and subsequent shower).  It has done its job after three weeks and you can kiss it good-by.  I don't like Ace bandages--too much of a fuss.

Dr. Jacobs 
New York City
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 04:05:07 PM by ifgyne2 »

Offline vaio

• Gyne free, is the way to be!
Im wearing both. Doctor gave me a compression vest which I have to wear non stop for two weeks and than during the day for two more weeks. I went out and got an ACE bandage also. Currently I have on the compression vest with the ACE bandage to give extra compression.
$2,800 = Freedom!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/album?.dir=7e36&.src=ph&am p;store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/my_photos

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024