Author Topic: Uhh oh... I think the surgeon took off too much.  (Read 5178 times)

Offline revolver

• Posting Member
It helps very much. Thank you! Are you saying that my unoperated side has fat that is making it seem larger now? Or is it gland?

If possible, I want to get this fixed as quickly as possible.

Offline revolver

• Posting Member
Also, if it was the surgeons fault that I was not given the correct procedure or even warned of it: Should he pay for revision surgery?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, without having examined you, I cannot tell you what you have.  Most likely, however, it is a combo of fat and gland.

Second, this is not revision surgery -- at best, it might be considered "incomplete."  I am sure your surgeon charged you his fee for only one side, not two.  If just means that you might need another operation to complete the process instead of doing it all in one procedure.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

It helps very much. Thank you! Are you saying that my unoperated side has fat that is making it seem larger now? Or is it gland?

If possible, I want to get this fixed as quickly as possible.

What I am saying is that your limited photo views, after surgery swelling,  and the short time after surgery make evaluation of the operated side not appropriate. However, the side not operated now looks strange. That contour will be from gland fat and skin as you can see in this Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia. How much is gland, vs. fat varies but all mammals both male and female will have gland.

There may also be a residual deformity on the operated side since liposuction targets the fat first leaving gland behind. I have seen so many patients unhappy after liposuction only surgery from other doctors. The most common deformity is firm gland remaining behind in a hole dug out from the fat. On compression and animation, this firmer tissue does not compress like the other fat creating an unnatural look. Healing tissue is also firm, that is why it is too soon to evaluate possible contour issues. That is why there are animation views in my Standard Photos to Evaluate Gynecomastia Surgery Results or even better my Standard Videos for evaluating Gynecomastia and Male Chest Contour Deformity. However, video takes a great deal of extra work.

Being patient, waiting to see if one or both sides need sculpture is usually the best first step.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline revolver

• Posting Member
It's slowly starting to look more contoured! I also went in for a talk with my doctor and believe it or not.. I had true one-sided gynecomastia. I'm not quite sure how this will all turn out, but I really hope it is for the better. This disease has damned me and taken away too much of my life already.

Thank you very much Gynecomastia.org and Doctor's Bremant and Elliot Jacobs for your very helpful advise. I will return in a few weeks to make a new thread, containing a link to this old one, to get more opinions.

Until then, see you all later and thank you very much!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024