Author Topic: I want to come off of Tamoxifen  (Read 7992 times)

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
I just turned 17 about a month ago with a minor case of gyno and my endocrinologist prescribed Tamoxifen.  I started it June 7th.  It is not reducing my gyno and at my age i think it would be wise to just stop using it and let my natural body's hormone production take over.

I have had this case of gyno for 3 years now.  I workout regularly and have a lean muscular build.  What i want to know is to come off of tamoxifen do i taper it off over time or stop altogether?

I take 10mg pills twice a day.  Should i only take 1 pill a day for a week or so,  then take like 1 pill every two days for another week, then 1 pill every like 4 days, then don't take any?

I'm trying to ask my endo but it's so hard to get a hold of this guy cause he always has patients, but i'm going to eventually talk to him.  

Offline girlieman

• Posting Member
  • Bigger Is Better
    • New World Order
I don't know the answer to your question, but here's a good place to start. http://www.nolvadex.com/consumer/home.asp

The NIH are also a good place to look.
'I could never be a woman.  I'd spend the entire day playing with my breasts' - Woody Allen

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
Thanks, but i couldn't find the answer on there  :(  My endo just called though he said I can just straight up stop taking it.  That does not sound right to me though?  Like going two pills a day to none at all...  I'm thinking about taking one a day for a week and maybe then stopping because i don'twant to have a rebound effect.

Offline girlieman

• Posting Member
  • Bigger Is Better
    • New World Order
I'm being treated for a rather serious condition of which gyne is a symptom.  I have found that strict adherance to my doctors' advise has stabilized and improved my health greatly.  Unless you have some reason for not trusting his/her judgement, I would follow the doc's advice.  If you do distrust this endocrinologist, you should find another doctor.

PS  It's interesting how terms change with different conditions.  In my world 'endo' refers to endoscopy, a proceedure where an optical tube is put down your esophagus  and the site of lupper GI lessions  located and repaired.

Offline JTZ

• Bronze Member
I've taken tamoxifen in the past, and I just stopped. As far as I know, there's no need to taper off your dosage when you discontinue taking it.

If your doctor told you it was ok to stop taking it, then follow his advice.

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
Yeah i know he's the doctor and i'm not, but i'm just thinking if i go from taking 2 pills a day for like 4 months to nothing all of a sudden there may be a rebound effect where my estrogen levels increase dramatically

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
tamoxifene doesn't work for every9one

ask ur doc about raloxifene

all the studies showed that 100% of the people responded.

not all responded with tamoxifene.. like 70% only

Offline JTZ

• Bronze Member
Yeah i know he's the doctor and i'm not, but i'm just thinking if i go from taking 2 pills a day for like 4 months to nothing all of a sudden there may be a rebound effect where my estrogen levels increase dramatically

Tamoxifen stays in your body and keeps working for quite a long time, even after you stop taking it.

I believe your estrogen levels will remain the same on or off the tamoxifen. It just blocks estrogen from binding to receptors. It doesn't eliminate estrogen from your blood or prevent more from being produced.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 07:21:31 PM by JTZ »

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member

Tamoxifen stays in your body and keeps working for quite a long time, even after you stop taking it.

I believe your estrogen levels will remain the same on or off the tamoxifen. It just blocks estrogen from binding to receptors. It doesn't eliminate estrogen from your blood or prevent more from being produced.

why give advice when u don't know what you're talking about?

serms raise both test/estrogen.

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
So Tamoxifen is actually raising my estrogen levels in the blood?

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
yes, but not significantly at all

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
oh ok thanks...so when i come OFF of it, my estrogen levels won't rise-- if anything they'd lower slightly, correct?

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
ur only taking 20 mgs bro.

what serms do is bind to est receptors.  they are actually antagonists in few places.  breast tissue being one of them.  they also bind to est receptors say in bone.. yes tamoxifene/raloxifene is used to treat menapasual women for austeo...

so by binding the the sites they are sending signals for yoru body to produce more est, which is produced mainly from test.. so both get elevated.

again taking 20 mgs, is not going to significaly effect your hormon levels.  it's safe for you to completely stop.  my oppionon.. it wont matter 99.9% perecent likelyhood.

u can taper off, and try 10 mgs 1 week, 5 mgs 1 week, then completely stop

Offline kindherb42

• Gold Member
  • F*ck this gyne sh1t
Thanks a lot man.

This may sound stupid, but what i'm going to do is try to stop worrying about my nipples because i noticed that when i think about it (which i do all the time) they always itch and seem like they're growing, but if i forget about it and just say darn it i never feel it growing or anything.  Maybe all the stress from me worrying is lowering my testosterone levels as well.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024