Author Topic: Where to get a proper diagnosis?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline tunguska

• Posting Member
Howdy gents.  I've been suffering from what I believe to be a moderate case of gyno for several years now.  I am 26, 6'3" and 188lbs.  I do not have an excessive amount of body fat.  I'm quite active—I hit the gym 5-7 days each week and either run or lift weights.  Lately I've been on a course to get leaner, so I push myself harder on the days that I run.  I've seen a noticeable difference in my navel area throughout the summer but my pectorals still appear gyno-ridden.  I believe this may be either due to genetics (dad has quite a pair, but he is overweight) or marijuana use during my teenage years (although, strangely, I did not notice these back then).

After researching and viewing photographs I am interested to know if I have a bona fide case of gynecomastia.  Several years ago my primary care doctor told me (after merely looking at my chest) I did not have gynecomastia, but I am seeking a second opinion.

My primary concern is that a plastic surgeon might be more likely to diagnose gynecomastia.  Would I be mistaken in seeking out a sports professional (e.g., an exercise physiologist or sports dietician)?  My goal is to seek out a professional who might provide the most accurate diagnosis without a bias toward a surgical remedy.  Of course, if surgery is the only available remedy I can deal with that.

So, who should I see for a comprehensive, unbiased exam?

I have some pics I can post but I would love to get some advice before I post them... I'm trying to get advice that is as unbiased as possible.  Thanks guys!

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
Find a good endocrinologists.

Offline ~Mr.x~

• Posting Member
Hey   :)

Sorry to hear about your gyne man  :-\, as far as I'm aware, no amount of exercise can totally remove it.
In fact weight training can exaggerate gyne by Increasing muscle pushing the fat/tissue outwards.

In my own experience, most GP's have never even heard of gyne so you might find a more conclusive diagnosis with a surgeon?
I'm not sure if a sports professional would be much help but maybe request a hormone level test with your doctor,
or ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

The general consensus is that if you have suffered from gyne for a number of years it is unlikely to go away by itself and surgery is normally the only option.

Maybe you could post those pic's so people can judge the extent of the gyne?

The users on this forum are probably more qualified than anyone to give a diagnosis lol

Hope that helps  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024