Author Topic: Need some answers.  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Torentz

Hello.

Short brief , Im 19 years old and I have been reading about gynecomastia. When I was around 13-14 I got what I think is teenage gynecomastia. I felt something right under my nipple it felt just like a small coin and from what I have been reading that's a sign of gyne but after about 6-12 month the thing under my nipple went away.

My chest is not flat, so i was wondering can you have gyne without that thing under your nipple and can you somehow feel if it's just fat? Im about 185 cm and 76 kilos.

Thanks for answers

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The first known use of the term "Gynecomastia" dates back to the Greek Physician Galen.

While he would likely have been aware of glandular tissue; his use of the term gynecomastia would seem to indicate a breast that was contoured and that would indicate at least some fatty deposits.

Based on Galen's use of the term, there is no real distinction based upon what is in the breast area but to the contour alone.

The terms True Gynecomastia and Psuedo Gynecomastia are both fairly recent developments and since the ultimate treatment is the same the distinctions really make almost no sense at all.

The usual finding is that there is both fatty and glandular tissue in most cases so again there is no valid distinction.
Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i think the way it would happen is think of what you had as like a mass of deflated balloons that massed up and then mostly dissipated off.  when it comes back the second time there's less of it, but now it inflates like if you blew up what little was there, so you're not going to notice it the same way, but it's a different form of the same thing, it's more diffuse.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:43:32 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

DrBermant

Hello.

Short brief , Im 19 years old and I have been reading about gynecomastia. When I was around 13-14 I got what I think is teenage gynecomastia. I felt something right under my nipple it felt just like a small coin and from what I have been reading that's a sign of gyne but after about 6-12 month the thing under my nipple went away.

My chest is not flat, so i was wondering can you have gyne without that thing under your nipple and can you somehow feel if it's just fat? Im about 185 cm and 76 kilos.

Thanks for answers

Gynecomastia is a contour problem. The normal male chest contour is not flat, but follows the pectoral muscle contour. Deformity on top of the muscle that looks like a female contour, even an early developing breast such as puffy nipples, is still gynecomastia.

Examination of the Male Chest in of itself is not enough to determine if this is fat or gland. The normal Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia consists of gland, fat, and skin. Although gland tends to be firm and fat soft, gland can be soft and fat firm.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have excess tissue under the skin of your chest, it can only be fat or breast tissue, or more commonly,  both.  It is truly a waste of time to try to feel it and determine what it is.  Fact is that it will not disappear with diet or exercise.

Would recommend you consult with an experienced gyne surgeon for an evaluation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024