Author Topic: Lost weight, chest hasn't reduce but become more prominent. What are my options?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
Last year I began to lose weight, and i've lost around 6 or 7 stone (90 pounds) since my largest. I now weight 72 kilos (160 pounds)
At first glance (and I know the quality of the images are poor), I believe the gynecomastia is quite severe. I wanted to know if there was anyway I could reduce it without surgery? To lose the weight, i've been going to the gym - but it hasn't really been helping.

I have acknowledged I have quite a bit of excess skin around my chest region, and if my gynecomastia is removed surgically, I would have even more excess skin. How could that affect the surgery, final image, and cost?

Thanks

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/WjRfZ

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Typically, weight loss doesn't make your gyne disappear -- it changes them.  They will be slightly smaller, more droopy and perhaps even more prominent contrasted to your now slimmer body.  No amount of exercise will tighten them.  And now that you are healthier, you have a choice of either living with your chest as it is or having surgery of some type to improve your chest.  As Yoda said, "Either do or don't do -- there is no try."

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
Typically, weight loss doesn't make your gyne disappear -- it changes them.  They will be slightly smaller, more droopy and perhaps even more prominent contrasted to your now slimmer body.  No amount of exercise will tighten them.  And now that you are healthier, you have a choice of either living with your chest as it is or having surgery of some type to improve your chest.  As Yoda said, "Either do or don't do -- there is no try."

Dr Jacobs

How bad do you think this gyne is?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
"Badness" is in the eye of the beholder -- only you can judge how "bad" it is.

Dr Jacobs

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
"Badness" is in the eye of the beholder -- only you can judge how "bad" it is.

Dr Jacobs

I meant from a medical perspective. Is this mild, or not?

Thanks

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Congratulations on your weight loss.  I would agree that your gynecomastia is moderate, but it doesn't look like something that will resolve with additional weight loss or exercise.  It's also possible that you'll need some skin removal at the time of your surgery.  You should do your research and find a qualified gynecomastia surgeon, as your case is a challenging one.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
Congratulations on your weight loss.  I would agree that your gynecomastia is moderate, but it doesn't look like something that will resolve with additional weight loss or exercise.  It's also possible that you'll need some skin removal at the time of your surgery.  You should do your research and find a qualified gynecomastia surgeon, as your case is a challenging one.  

How is skin removed, from where, and what about the scarring?

Thanks

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Skin is removed from the area in which there is excess, namely the breast skin itself.  There are a few techniques to accomplish this -- and it is too technical to try to describe here.  Suggest you consult with a gyne expert to learn about all your options, the pros, cons, anticipated scars and potential results.  Ask to see some photos of patients who have had each of the techniques described.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024