Author Topic: decided to get surgery (my journal)  (Read 3258 times)

Offline gebu19

• Posting Member
Hi, I'm Gabe.

So many similar stories, so I'll just summarize.  I've had man boobs since I was about 12 or 13.  I remember my dad saying if I continued to work out (I've been lifting since about 15 specifically to counter my boobs) I could get rid of them by age 18.  That didn't happen.

well, I was in the military for my 4 years, got out with a bunch of money saved up and am going to college. Since the military is paying for college I have a lot of extra money saved up; I figured, this is something I should use my money for.  I've decided almost any cost is worth it, and I'm doing it.

I've only scheduled my consultation for next week (monday the 7th) but I want the surgery, I've read around, so I hope this is an easy process. I'll keep on updating this as I go; any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

I realize I pretty much am just airing my thoughts, so feel free to do the same.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Gabe

Welcome to the forum.  You will find many brothers here with similar problems -- and you will receive many compassionate responses.

Good luck with your consult and eventual surgery!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline gebu19

• Posting Member
UPDATE: (1/7/13)

I had my consolation today. Went great.

Firstly, my doctor told me what Gynecomastia was(I already knew most of it from this site and other reading). 

He had me take off my shirt and he got to second base (sorry, I couldn't resist  ;D ), no; he felt my chest.  Then he told me that because my body fat was very low (I do work out already) that my type will get the best results.  He said he'd be doing liposuction first (a hole around the armpit area) then follow it up with cutting underneath the areola to remove the gynecomastia tissue.  He said it'd be easy and the results would be great, basically (not to boast) because of my fitness level already.

When he told me about the compression vest he said don't buy a really expensive one.  Get an under armour shirt (a few).  Basically, most people end up hating the compression vest and stop wearing it, and a cheaper under armour vest does the same (As long as it's 1 size smaller than what you'd normally wear).

He said it won't be painful after (just some mild sorness) and I'd have an ace bandage wrapped around my body (6" in length) for about 4 - 7 days (I'll just do 7 to play it safe though).  No lifting of my arms above my head for 1 week; also, I'd have 4 pieces of special tape around my areolas for about a month. 

The surgery should only take between 35 - 45 minutes for me (but again, he said it was short because I'm an easy case because of my fitness).  I'd need someone to drive me home and be there for the night (in case  get up to go pee and fall over)and after that I'd be fine.  He said by Sunday (operation on a wednesday) I'd be fine to go back to school (I'm a college student).

I literally was there for 45 minutes.  I talked to him, his assistant took 5 pictures; I talked to the money manager and signed some papers.  Next Wednesday I'm getting it dones (that's 8 days, not long).  All the paper work had 2 - 3 week deadlines (for payments, pre-op stuff).  I didn't need a pre-op since I don't smoke, only drink on holidays, had no allergies; that probably saved time.

COST:
$2,400 - for the surgery
$550 - for the anesthesiologist
$950 - for the operating room
$50 - for my consultation
$3,950 total (not including an under armour shirt, and other supplies I'll be picking up).

I also got these anti-swelling (all natural apparently) pills that I'm supposed to take the day before, then the day after and until I run out.  5 pills (dissolve on the tongue), 3 times a day.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions; that's why I made this post.

decoyknox

Hey man, keep us posted!
I'm having mine done in about a week. Can't wait.

Offline gebu19

• Posting Member
Tomorrow  is my surgery.  Yesterday (monday 14th) I got a call from the surgery center to tell me what time, she then asked me some health questions.

I have to take these weird dissolving pills, 3 times a day, the day before surgery, and the day after.  I can't eat anything after midnight, nor drink anything.  I have to take a pepcid at 7 PM the night before, and the day of the surgery (with just a small amount of water). 

I bought a crap load of yogurt, soup, and crackers.  Stuff I've read you'll be able to eat after surgery.

I also had to buy anti-bacterial soap to shower with the night before.  Dial stick bars: $3.29.

well, hopefully I can update more later on.

Offline gebu19

• Posting Member
I had my surgery today; arrived before 9, left at a round 3.

I had an iv put in my left hand with stuff being put into me described as "gatorade and sugar".  I put on my gown and they gae me a hot towel over my body to keep me warm.  Then the nurese asked me my name and birthdate, then another nurse, then the surgeon, then the anesthesiologist. 

Finally I went into the operation room.  I had some stickers put on my back.  I laid back and the they took my blood pressure taken.  Then the anesthesiologist said "hold on 1 second".  Then I woke up in the nurse area.  The surgery took 57 minutes and I was told it had been done for 45 minutes. 

I had to stay at least 1 hour after surgery before I could be released.  I had an ace bandage around my chest (it was super puffy and looked bruised, not sexy; probably wait a week till I take of the ace bandage to get a proper judge) and I was lying down. 

I had to pee, so the 2 nurses helped me up into a wheel chair, took me to the bathroom (kept asking me if I felt nauseous...) and helped me onto the toilet; I had to sit to pee.  I got back in the chair feeling just really tired; once I got back to the bed I felt super nauseous.  I couldn't get up and then 3 nurses came over saying my name repeatedly; I passed out.  When I woke up they helped me into the bed and otld me I'd have to wait another hour (I felt like crap so that was fine).

I just relaxed trying not to fall asleep, then in an hour I felt great.  I was brought my clothes and the nurse helped me put them on, sat me in a wheel chair, rolled me out to my ride.  I was prescribed: a pain killer, an antibiotic, a anti-puke patch ($72 all together in Pittsburgh). 

Not really much pain, just some sorness and the mentioned bruising.  I'll update later.

Offline gebu19

• Posting Member
day after. 

on the pain scale (1 - 10) I 'd say maybe a 1 or less.  If I touch it, it's sore; if i move my arms too fast it's sore.  I stopped using the anti-puke patch because I had crazy dry mouth.

I took a show and saw puffy chest, wan't expecting a Sylvester Stallone chest just yet anyways.  I put it back, the bandage, and now I'm just watching TV.  I'll probably head back to class tomorrow as I feel fine; we'll see. 

It's been easy; I've moved around my arms just super slowly. 

Offline lemmiknox

• Posting Member
Good going man, I just had mine done 2 nights ago in Bangkok. Going to write up a journal soon. So far our experiences are quite similar. I'm sitting here typing with bandages still wrapped around my chest tightly. No signs of a vest yet.

Are you happy with what you saw so far? Maybe you handle pain a lot better than I do (being in the military and all) but I'm feeling a formidable amount of pain right now, especially the soreness from mobility.

All the support your way, mate.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024