Author Topic: Where are all the male-specific bras?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
I feel sure that I once read somewhere on the forum (and some time ago) that there were plans afoot to try to manufacture bras specifically for men. I can’t find the reference now, and am beginning to wonder if I either read it somewhere else or imagined it!

It would seem to be a pretty cool idea, though. I expect the economics would not make sense, unless the unit cost was prohibitively high, but surely an established lingerie brand would not find it too hard to adapt an existing line to suit male proportions better?

Generally, we all seem to have wide-set breasts compared to women, and with our bigger chests, bigger bands in relation to cup sizes. The way the tissue is distributed in our shallow male breast is different, too, and I would guess that we would benefit from a broader underwire profile.

Does anyone recall hearing about plans for male bras, or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

aboywithgirls

I think that I remember something about this. However when I researched it, everything that I came across seemed to be either a sports bra, or a compression vest or even a binder. There is know way I could wear anything like that for 16 hours a day. 

A traditional underwire bra is fine with me.

Offline Johndoe1

I have spoken to several entrepreneurs who have SAID they wanted to add a gynecomastia true bra line, not compression shirts and such, but so far, nothing has come out. In Japan they have what they call "men's bras" but they are made for flat chested (fetish) men and I could never get my nipple in one of the cups, much less my entire breast.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
Seems like a missed opportunity for one of the mainstream lingerie brands. It would be fascinating to know how many men worldwide wear a bra for genuine support reasons (rather than the fetish market)

Obviously smaller than the women’s market, but significant all the same.

Offline Johndoe1

Elisabeth Dale, a breast expert who runs the website thebreastlife.com and a great supporter of gynecomastic men, she has written about it several times on her blog, has stated she has talked to many bra manufacturers about a male bra and they don't seem interested. Oh, they will gladly take our money, and seem to know there is a market, but have no interest in creating a line of "men's bras." I guess when you have 50% guaranteed market share, why change?

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
Yes, I’m sure you are right. If just one of them decided to produce bras for men I bet it would be a completely different story, though - I’m sure they would all be quick to jump on that bandwagon!

aboywithgirls

This is true. For me, to be perfectly honest. I think that I would still prefer the feminine version. I'm not sure if they would produce a 36H. If they did, it would probably cost even more than what I can buy at one of my boutiques that I shop at.

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
Yes, I can see that. You can bet that anything that was made in smaller runs specifically for men would come at a premium price, so choosing from what is already available makes perfect sense - I imagine you have plenty of options at 36H. I don’t know how many men are your size, but I suspect most of us are less well endowed.

My difficulty is being at the opposite end of the bra size spectrum. I’m wearing 38b, sometimes with an extender, depending on the brand. I want to try sister sizing to a 40a in the hope that that would get me a slightly wider underwire, but very few brands seem to go down to an A cup at that band size, and most of them seem to be padded. I guess most 40a women must be looking for a little help.

I have tried a few 40b bras, but the better quality brands I tried all seemed to be rather generous in cup size. I fill them very nicely at the bottom of the cups and the underwires fit great, but they are loose at the tops, and I don’t like the look of the excess material flapping around - it makes my boobs look like punctured balloons!

Most of the brands that I would love to try seem to start around C or D cup at my band size, which is so frustrating. I’m almost hoping that I continue to put on a bit more growth so that I come more into the mainstream size range.

Other than that, I quite like a lot of the feminine designs and colours and would have no problem choosing from what is already on offer, if they would only make them in my size. There are a few 40A bras around, however, so I’ll try a few and see how they fit.

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
lulalu.com already specializes in making bras for small breasts, and they're rather plain which suits men, as we don't want the flowers and other feminine features.  It seems like Ellen (the owner) could branch out and do the same thing for the larger bands that many men with gyne need.  If I'm going to have a gyne problem, ironically I'd almost prefer to grow a little more to fill the available cups so my breast doesn't have to be squished down by a bralette, or wish I had a small-enough rib cage to fit into the girls' small-cup bras.

Edit:  Let's see if I can attach a photo now that they've made some improvements to the forum software.  This is marketed as a sports bra, and a very cheap one at that.  It kind of makes my breast feel squished; but I have not found small-enough cups in bands my size in regular bras.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:01:00 AM by MarcoB »

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
I do so agree with that sentiment!

I never wanted to have breasts, but now I do it is so incredibly frustrating to find that I can’t get a bra that fits me. When I do find something with a small cup and a big band, it invariably has padding that I don’t want.

I find myself looking enviously at all of the great bras available if I was only a cup size bigger or a band size smaller.

Maybe it is all a matter of being patient and seeing what happens. In around a year I have gone from completely flat to an A cup and now a B cup. Maybe this time next year I will have all the bra options I could wish for.

Offline Johndoe1

Don't short change padding. Even at my size, I wear padded bras. Not for the slight bump in size that I get, but no pokys and in the winter, it's a nice warmth layer plus it gives a pleasing shape to the breasts.

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
Good point. I have several lightly padded moulded cup bras, and they are great for minimising nipple projection. They are a little too warm during the summer month, but I have discovered that spacer bras do a similar job and are way cooler to wear.

They definitely smooth the outline of the breasts, and I think this compensates for any slight increase in projection. I have no proof, but I bet a strangely lumpy profile will attract more attention than smooth curves do.

Offline Johndoe1

My experience has been anything that doesn't resemble a breast in shape and appearance draws attention, exactly opposite what you would think and expect. Because of that, if I show, I show. If I don't, I don't. That doesn't mean I don't try for certain looks, including enhancement at times depending on situation and clothing, but I have found thst most of the anxiety and fear is in my head and no one really notices. As long as I dress appropriately, no one gives a second glance, whether I am showing or not.

Offline Beeches

• Silver Member
My own limited experience of wearing a bra pretty much full time would back this up. I really don’t think anyone notices (and if they the did, they don’t care!)

I’m finding it hard not to be self-conscious, but I’m sure this will come with time and familiarity. The key to it, I think, is to not care what others may think if they do spot your bra. Not easy to do, but you have certainly managed it. As you say, the anxiety is mostly in our own heads.

Offline jlab

There are already strapless tops, sport tops and special tank tops for gynecomastia. The first is similar to the "binder" and the second and the third have regattas or tops with several front closures similar to the bra.
Too bad that they are not yet produced in large volume or that they do not yet appear in the catalogs of lingerie and underwear brands.
This type of product will never be named "bra" by companies.
This word is still a taboo for men, after all, the bra is predominantly a clothing for women (neither girls use it, just teenagers)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024