Author Topic: Introduction and request for a good idea for an excuse  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Bgrn82

• Posting Member
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site.

I have suffered from this condition (only recently found out gyne was a condition) since my early teenage years. I'm sure people here will be familiar with how it can damage your self esteem and prevent you from doing things (swimming, going to the beach, sports etc) for fear of humiliation and ridicule.

My weight has varied over the years from underweight to overweight, I thought losing weight would get rid of these man-breasts so I got down to a stone underweight but that did not get rid of them (if anything just made them perkier), Years later I've piled on the pounds hoping that being overweight would simply make the moobs blend in, but geuss what? The moobs are still with me and are pretty much as bad as they ever have been.

The immediate problem I need advice on is this: After all these years of avoiding sport/exercise I decided to bite the bullet and take up a martial art. Knowing that despite my nerves it was something that really interested me and that it may help with confidence/self esteem. I have been steadily progressing and enjoying the lessons, and have lost a load of weight since taking it up. - Problem is now I've been there a while I'm expected to start wearing the traditional clothing called a Gi rather than casual sportswear. This will expose the body I'm so ashamed of to everyone, and I'm so afraid of the humiliation. I am certain that a lot of people will not hesitate to mock me in the name of good humor and as pathetic as it sounds I can't take the embarrasment. I know word will spread to work and although people can obviously see I have the man-breast condition through t-shirts, the true extent of the problem is only visible without shirt.

I do not want to give up the martial art I've taken up so assume the only other option is to wear a t-shirt under my Gi. Can anyone think of a CONVINCING JUSTIFICATION/EXCUSE I can make for wearing a t-shirt under the Gi even though no one else does?????

I know this request for convincing lies is a bit pathetic and there are bigger problems in the world than this, but PLEASE help me out on this matter, what on earth can I say. ???

Surgery is out of the question for me because it's expensive and I'm poor. I'm wondering - Do those herbal pills like 'diet aid of questionable value' etc work, anyone had success with them? Somehow I doubt it but thought it was worth asking.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to read the ramblings of a stranger and thank you in advance for the replies (I hope) you will leave. ??? :-X ;)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Will your G be noticeable under you Gi?

Don't waste your hard earned coin on the so-called 'Miracle Cures'. They don't work. All they give you is false hope...   :-\

GB
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:23:28 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Denver Omlet

Everything i read points to the pills being a scam, I would avoid them and get surgery if it bothers you, it is well worth it.  As far as the Gi, they generally do cover the majority of your chest. I would assume the one you are wearing has a belt tie in at the waist and a loose open chest that may tend to flop open when you're throwing some sweet high kicks and what not... did you ever consider sewing a button or some Velcro on the inside of the gi to keep it from opening as easily?  Maybe not all the way up but at least high enough to keep your chest hidden for the most part? I know this will leave you vulnerable if the shirt get snagged and ripped open, but it might help for when you're just standing around.  As far as the shirt, just say you dont like the seams touching your skin, or that you sweat too much and don't wanna muck up your gi.

Offline PhillyPUFF

• Silver Member
You may want to look into a compression shirt to wear underneath your clothes. This will flatten out your chest and prevent a lot of the bounce. You can get sleeveless under armor thats super thin and wont be noticeable at all. You just need to buy it a few sizes smaller than usual. You may also want to look into something a bit more heavy duty like: http://www.underworks.com/996.html

Good luck man

Offline Bgrn82

• Posting Member
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Your suggestions are appreciated. I definitely think that saying you sweat too much is a good idea but may need a back up lie further to that, just in case.

Not too sure about the velcro because it's more of a grappling art and you do get exposed but I imagine that suggestion would be excellent for anyone doing a kicking style.

Whatever happens, I will let you know how it goes and may look into that clothing that disguises the condition. I was feeling quite low when I wrote my original message but knowing there are others who suffer the same thing is a great comfort and I wish to emphasize to the younger people here that it's not all bad. There are women out there who won't be bothered (yes, attractive ones as well!) and I'm sure that masturbation has nothing to do with it. If anything, I blame the hormones they pump into our food and water supplies these days. There are cruel people out there but it will come back on them when they mess with the wrong person or find themselves in the wrong situation.

Again, many thanks, and if anyones got any other good excuses for wearing a t-shirt, let me know.

Offline Denver Omlet

Oh, one last idea... Go buy a compression vest that is obviously for medical purposes, then blame it on back pain.
Im sure people would buy that you are hurting your back doing martial arts, and I doubt they would think something like this would be used to conceal your chest.  Since its looks medically related they will be more likley to accept it/buy it instead of think you're trying to hide something under a shirt.

http://www.underworks.com/990.html

Offline yellowbook

Hey, good job choosing to get involved in martial arts.  Some sort of physical activity like that is always great with improving your self perception.  I used to be fat(ter), then started running.  The key for me was to ignore the motion of the moobs (sry, don't know the technical name), and realize that I was improving myself by getting healthier.  So kudo's to getting active.

Anyways, use some sort of medical excuse if you have to use one.  Then people won't think to question it too much, and if they do, it will be a whole lot easier to deal with.  Just say "I would, but I got this thing wrong with me.."  Even though our moobs are a medical condition, you can always say you have some other condition that is easier to deal with.  When I was younger, I used to go swimming with a t-shirt or tank top on.  I always said I burned ridiculously easy, and then people wouldn't really think to wonder about my chest.  Personally, I like the excuse about the back problems.  Just add in that your doctor thought that some sort of conditioning would be good to improve the strength of it and rise above the problems and pain you used to have, and voila, you are doing martial arts with a shirt on.  Just don't go overboard with the explanation, it could make the situation worse.  Anyways, good luck man.

Offline Bgrn82

• Posting Member

Offline AnonNZ

• Posting Member
I used to have the same problem in Judo after it developed. Unless you have a nazi sensei they won't say a word about a t-shirt and even then you could wear a singlet which is less visible or try buttons or velcro like others are saying. I used to make sure the gi and belt was tied tighly too. Also remember it's more of a problem in your head than it would be to them :-)

Offline Gyno 44

• Silver Member
buy a underarm and say u like wearing it beacause its more comfy and you dont like the sweat rubbing up against the thing you wear and the underarmour stops the sweat from doing that

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024