Author Topic: Has the surgery really enhanced the quality of your life  (Read 5742 times)

Offline mephistopholes

• Posting Member
I've been living with a very mild form of gynecomastia for over 35+ years.  Had one consultation, and didn't go with the surgery.  During my life so far, I don't think gynecoimastia has really caused much problem as it's not really visible under one or two layers of clothing....  However, it's still on my mind whenever I think about how much I desire more from this life.   The surgery is expensive, and there are risks that can worsen the problem.

I just would like to get your thoughts for those who had surgery.  Can you really say the surgery has helped to improve your life, your chance with women, your overall confidence, and even your mental health?  Please share your after-thoughts for those considering surgery in this kind of economy we're currently in.

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
These days, i think gynecomastia surgery has improved a lot and chances of complications are decreasing every year, especially since technology is changing and improving at a rapid rate these days.  I'm guessing the amount of cases these surgeons get are increasing by the year, so it helps them to improve their techniques and avoid complications, hopefully one of the doctors can confirm this.

For me, surgery was a stepping stone for me, a big one but not the answer.  I want to get into shape, i'm not fat, far from it, but i really need to tone up before i can confidently whip off my shirt and jump into a pool.  So yeah, I'd say yes, since i know i will get into shape and will look great for once.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:31:21 PM by Aperture »

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
Same as aperture... it's a stepping stone... I'm not happy because of having surgery, but I won't be happy /without/ having surgery..... It depends what you're after really. I want a nice body and having gyno surgery won't get me a nice body, but it fixes something that I CANT fix through training alone. But still have a way to go in the training department before I'm truly happy.

But yeah, you are on this site so it obviously bothers you.. so definetly consider surgery. I'm glad I had it done but it does take time to heal! :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:34:45 PM by Jackd »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
To answer your question...  YES!!!

All the gyne related stress/anxieties were made a thing of the past with a 2 hour, out-patient procedure. It was like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. The best part of being G free is that fact that you no longer have to constantly worry about it 24/7.

I absolutely dreaded the coming of spring/summer. This should be a time for thoughts of warm, sunny days at the beach/pool. Thoughts of hanging with your buds and/or g/f at the cottage on those long weekend getaways. Oh how we dream of hooking-up with a really nice girl and live happily-ever-after. Or, at least till the end of the summer....  :P

However, the bubble soon bursts and we awake to the hard, cold, cruel reality of Gynecomastia.... I often thought, how could I possibly make it through another long hot summer with the curse? "WTF am I gonna do?", I often thought in April/May. Pondering all those sweltering days with 2/3 layers of shirts and having to explain to people that you aren't hot with all those shirts on. I often wore my heavy winter parka in 20+ Celcius weather, unwilling to give up my big, baggy, 'security blanket'. I always did manage to make it through those dreaded summer months, but it was a brutal emotional roller coaster ride.

How many of you G guys loath the wind? For the average Joe, the wind is something to be embraced. For the G sufferer, the wind is thy enemy. You're walking down the street with a t-shirt and an open, button-down shirt to disguise your unsightly mounds. All of a sudden a strong gust of wind hits you and the button-down shirt is blown open to your sides and your t-shirt is pinned to your chest... Exposing your darkest secret to the whole world. Not a nice feeling...  :-\

A successful G surgery outcome, will obliterate the nightmare that we call Gynecomastia... obliterate all the BS, obliterate the constant worry, obliterate the fear that we will never meet 'the one'.... obliterate the fear, anxieties, depression, self-hatred, and the list goes on...  With all of that crap gone, how could one's quality of life not be 'somewhat' improved?   

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
Well said Bambu!  I hope I can write that story in about a week!!!!!!!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
This continues to be an amazing forum for me.  I want all readers to know that this site is not only enlightening for gyne sufferers; it's incredibly enlightening for surgeons as well.  Prior to my involvement with this site, I performed countless gynecomastia cases over the years and got nice results - results that satisfied both my patients and me.  But my exposure to your (collective "your") verbalized feelings about your lives with gynecomastia and your results from surgery has really helped me do a better job.  This has provided me insight into what most gynecomastia patients in my office are thinking and feeling, and these thoughts and feelings aren't often expressed to a great degree in the few moments we spend with patients in the exam room.  Aperture and Jackd both refer to their surgeries as a "stepping stone", and that's very important for us all to understand.  A great surgical result won't always lead to confidence in whipping off a shirt at a swimming pool.  There are often other psychological issues at play, and many of these will only be resolved after you-name-it: losing more weight, or building muscle in the gym, or getting a girlfriend, etc.

So to finally get around to your question, gynecomastia surgery can make a great difference in your life.  But there may be other factors at play that make you hesitant to embrace your good surgical result.  Those factors vary from person to person, but I think it's important to recognize them and challenge them like you challenge the gynecomastia.

OK, enough of the sermon; Have a Merry Christmas!

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I've been living with a very mild form of gynecomastia for over 35+ years.  Had one consultation, and didn't go with the surgery.  During my life so far, I don't think gynecoimastia has really caused much problem as it's not really visible under one or two layers of clothing....  However, it's still on my mind whenever I think about how much I desire more from this life.   The surgery is expensive, and there are risks that can worsen the problem.

I just would like to get your thoughts for those who had surgery.  Can you really say the surgery has helped to improve your life, your chance with women, your overall confidence, and even your mental health?  Please share your after-thoughts for those considering surgery in this kind of economy we're currently in.

I got the surgery about 9 months ago.  Like you I had a fairly minor case - unnoticeable with clothing on (even thin shirts etc).  Results were good (except for scar tissue) but the quality of my life has not really improved at all.  I am still exactly the same person I was a year ago.  Women are not throwing themselves at me, i'm still very shy and while i'm certainly not depressed, I still feel unsatisfied with my life.  Only difference is now I can't blame any of that on gyno :-)

I dont at all regret getting the surgery - although it was very expensive, but i will tell you now that it will not transform you into a new person.  You are who your are with or without gyno.  Change has to come from within you.  Don't think that gyno surgery is the ticket to a new and better life and everything is going to change the day after surgery.  That shit is bullshit...it only applies to the guys around who have massive freaky breasts and have been teased and bullied etc in school.

One positive thing I will point out however, is that I don't think about having gyne all the time anymore which I have to admit is a big mental relief.  Like with you, it was always on my mind and id always be checking out my chest from all angles and being highly self conscious about it.  I still anxiously check out my chest now and then post op...it takes a while for it to sink in that you dont have puffy nipples anymore.

So in a nutshell...if you have the spare money then get surgery.  But dont think that it will turn you into a better man and give you a new, fantastic life. 
Surgery done 18th March 2008

DrBermant

Check out this video of one of my patients discussing emotion and stress of living with gynecomastia and the results of having surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I got the surgery about 9 months ago, unnoticeable with clothing on (even thin shirts etc).  Results were good (except for scar tissue) but the quality of my life has not really improved at all.  I am still exactly the same person I was a year ago.  Women are not throwing themselves at me, i'm still very shy and while i'm certainly not depressed, I still feel unsatisfied with my life.  Only difference is now I can't blame any of that on gyno :-)

Did you expect women to throw themselves at you once the gyne was gone?

Why are you unsatisfied with your life?

I dont at all regret getting the surgery - although it was very expensive, but i will tell you now that it will not transform you into a new person. You are who your are with or without gyno. Change has to come from within you. Don't think that gyno surgery is the ticket to a new and better life and everything is going to change the day after surgery.  That shit is bullshit...it only applies to the guys around who have massive freaky breasts and have been teased and bullied etc in school.

Were you expecting to be 'transformed into a new person'?

I had those 'massive freaky breasts' and did get teased at school, and beyond. For me, surgery provided a great emotional relief. I would assume that most post G guys feel the same. However, as you mention, having G surgery will not transform you into a new person, make the girls flock to you or give you an 'Arnold in his prime' body. From my post-op experience, i feel surgery provides the sufferer with 'mental relief' (as you say in your next paragraph) and that is all!

One positive thing I will point out however, is that I don't think about having gyne all the time anymore which I have to admit is a big mental relief.  Like with you, it was always on my mind and id always be checking out my chest from all angles and being highly self conscious about it.  I still anxiously check out my chest now and then post op...it takes a while for it to sink in that you dont have puffy nipples anymore.

So in a nutshell...if you have the spare money then get surgery.  But dont think that it will turn you into a better man and give you a new, fantastic life

Right on dude... G surgery will not transform the sufferer, rather, just provide a more manageable life... 

It's called having 'Realistic Expectations'.... ;)

GB

Offline BMB65

• Posting Member
i agree with bambu 100%  ...the wind story , dreading the warmer weather while everyone arround you is rubbing their hands together saying "i cant wait till it gets warmer out "   ....it is way more of a releif than anything for me ...the good feeling comes from not having to worry about covering up and trying on shirts , not to see how you look but to see how well your moobs look .....now i can dress for me ....im almost 1 month post op and should be in the 3-6 month post op range by the time it gets warmer and i cant wait to not have to worry about what to wear and people looking and staring , not going certain places cuz of the moobs and its too hot or windy out .....all in all ,there are different levels of gyno and the people who had it worse are gonna veiw things from a gyno standpoint way  differently  in my opinion .....id say my case was like a 8.5 outta 10 and i can tell that bambu was up there too ....not to down play what other people feel (not my intention at all ) but i browse the site and see cases that are minimal in my eyes and im sure they are gonna have diff. experiences than i did .....but everyone is gonna feel differently after their surgery ....i was at the point in my life where their was no solution and i was just gonna have to deal with it ...then i found dr jacobs and realized that there was a solution and i could lead a life that was less stressfull ......it basicly consumes your life and mind to the point where every 5 sec. you are some how thinkin about it ....i dont know what to do with all this free brain time now ! .....money is just paper and i think if anyone is considering surgery should do it .....i feared so many things , people noticing , complications , money , work , healing correctly ....i just got to the point where i said f#$k it , im doin it .......forced myself through it and did it ....even in the waiting room i said to myself , wtf am i doing here .....but i just did it and it was worth its weight 3 times in gold

Offline Grandpa Bambu

It was worth its weight 3 times in gold.

I agree with you there Broh!!!  ;)

Thanks for sharing my man!

Still, to this day, almost 4 years Post-Op, I can't believe the nightmare is over. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my G would be gone...  Thought I was stuck with it for the rest of my life...

If I win the lottery, all surgeries are on me!!!

GB

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
Without a doubt it has been the best thing ever. Yes I am still the same me, but I can now do things that I could never do before (too embarassed etc).

If you have the money, go and get it done!

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
I just went out to my garage wearing a tight-ish fitted black t-shirt without worrying who saw me.

Surgery fixes the simple things, but doesn't change your life.

However, its the simple things that stop you saying "yes" to things, events, outings, sports, hobbies, girls. And worrying about the simple things gets you down and creates bigger problems.

So when you learn that its safe to say yes /then/ you can say gyno surgery has changed your life. I'm still healing, only 3 weeks post op and still have a lot of mental issues to fix, I still slouch, still seem to roll my shoulders forward and never relax. But slowly but surely as I see my healing progress and results get better and I get more comfortable, then I feel its easier to say yes to things and change my life for the better. I am really looking forward to summer as there are lots of things I want to experience and catch up on, pool parties, holidays, BBQ's with mates, going out and about more.

Hope that makes some sense to people.

Offline doohdah

• Posting Member
i had surgery 8 months ago and i had big boobs that ruled my life.Now i have forgotten that i had them.life is cool.

Offline BMB65

• Posting Member
thats good to hear ....hpefully i will loose some weight by the summer and have the same stories !

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024