Author Topic: Nipple question  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Redman88

• Posting Member
Hi everyone, my surgery is due in a couple of weeks and i have a question. I have a large areola and i was wondering if this will go away with the gland excision or is there something else that needs to be done?
Surgery booked for July 27th 2009, can't wait!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
it sounds strange at first, but several people have reported reductions in past with a little time. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Usually the areolar diameter will shrink when gland excision and lipo is performed.  It will also shrink a bit with only gland excision.  One cannot predict how much it will shrink, however.

I would caution you about methods used to reduce the entire areola -- they leave very unsightly scars completely around the areola -- and it is virtually impossible to improve these scars once they are there.

Better to live with a flat chest and a slightly wide areola.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi everyone, my surgery is due in a couple of weeks and i have a question. I have a large areola and i was wondering if this will go away with the gland excision or is there something else that needs to be done?

How well the skin, areola and nipple shrink with surgery can vary as I demonstrate in the two balloon examples on that link.  How much skin retracts and the timing depends on
  • how much it had been stretched
  • how long was it streched
  • how much elasticity remains in the skin
  • how much was removed during surgery

After Major Weight Loss, the skin can be damaged and tends not to shrink as well as undamaged skin. 

I see an immediate shrinking of skin as I remove tissue under the skin. Skin Shrinking on Operating Table During Gynecomastia Surgery.   Further shrinking occurs as the swelling goes down. 

With my Dynamic Technique and targeting gland first, there is a natural reduction in many nipples and areola with surgery that does not add a skin component. Gland sometimes adheres to more than just the nipple attachment and extends along the surface of the areola muscle.  Peeling this gland away permits the areola to shrink down greatly.

Inappropriate use of areola reduction can result in Very Large Areola Complications

You can find many examples of nipple areola shrinkage after surgery:

Puffy Nipple Areola Picture Gallery Before and After Male Breast Reduction

Nipple Areola Reduction Picture Gallery Before and After Surgery

Male Areola Reduction Picture Gallery

Nipple Areola Reduced with Surgery Gallery

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Redman88

• Posting Member
Thank you very much for the information, I'll make sure to talk about it with my ps.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024